Building wheels...how difficult?

2nd here for Musson book, I think the pdf may be available online somewhere. I started with the excellent Sheldon Brown guide but found Mussons technique stuck with me. You can get away without one but I'd recommend buying a spoke tension meter to avoid disappointment.
I agree with doctor-bond on the frame-as-jig option (assuming it's a straight frame) with the addition of masking tape, toothpicks and rectangle bits of cereal boxes for the dedicated pro :)

Spokes can be expensive - 36 x 2 x £1 = 72. DT sell the nipples separately these days, roughly £20 per 100 retail i think. You can easily get away with same length spokes on the rear for drive-side and non drive-side (assuming symmetrical flanges) and 'double wall' rim.

I'd say results from brand new parts are much quicker/satisfying. Employing used parts can be frustraighting unless you realise that tensioning can only take you so far. i.e If the wheel/parts aren't playing nicely after tensioning then accept you'll have to deviate from the correct tensioning to get a result, but (imo) its best to work towards an evenly tensioned wheel first, then tweak it. You'll always have trouble around he rim join - I try not to focus on it.

Also agree with Oaklec on the used wheel strip/build (assuming it hasn't had a hard life). It could help to take pictures of the wheel built before stripping it.

Some sort of lube on the spole threads is a must for me. just a dip-in-a-drip should make tensioning much smoother.

all the best of you decide to give it a go, (I've been doing it for a number of years and still get a kick out of finishing one) it can be quite rewarding :)

Re:

My experience is that some people find it hard and some find it easier... it's a straight forward process but can be fiddly and frustrating. You need to be able to concentrate and focus on what you are doing without distractions. Have a go and see if you enjoy it. If so you'll find it easy. If not you'll hate it. I love building wheels.

I'd had lots of experience truing old wheels by the time I first built a wheel from scratch. I'd suggest that truing is the main skill so best to practice this on some old rubbish rather than making a mess out of new parts. Paradoxically I wouldn't personally bother building a new set of wheels using old rims - can be hard to tell if they have issues so better to start with a brand new rim and have a decent chance of doing it right.

Re tensionometers - I bought one recently and found it wasn't helpful to me. If you can't gauge spoke tension by hand you should probably let someone else build your wheels. A good tool saves you time but this just made the process take longer. All you really need is a spoke key and a screwdriver, but I wouldn't bother without a truing stand. I also love my dishing tool - it saves me lots of time - although it probably depends on the design of your truing stand - with mine it takes a while to get the guides aligned so flipping wheels to check dishing is long winded.

A really good place to start is to buy some new cheap factory wheels - true and tension them by hand to improve on the factory build. If you're feeling brave, take them apart and rebuild. The advantage here is you know the spokes are the right length without the hassle of measuring etc.

Have fun!

Re:

I’ve done quite a few sets now and always have a YouTube video to refer to if I get stuck. Built quite a few sets and trued/dished them when I fitted them on the bike but eventually bought a truing stand. It does make it easier.
Do it. It’s very satisfying knowing your riding on your own hand built wheels!

I don’t bother lacing my own anymore, I let my children do it for me.... ;)

I still enjoy the tensioning/finishing though... :D

Attachments

• 7CC7AF43-1096-4AFC-AE22-77210EC2A6FB.jpeg
    7CC7AF43-1096-4AFC-AE22-77210EC2A6FB.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 175
  • FEBCA2A1-C39D-42DB-8409-CDF42AE0818B.jpeg
    FEBCA2A1-C39D-42DB-8409-CDF42AE0818B.jpeg
    218.3 KB · Views: 175
Peachy!":1163oiu4 said:

Haha, excellent. Do you at least have them on minimum wage?

FireMountain95":4hvije51 said:
Peachy!":4hvije51 said:

Haha, excellent. Do you at least have them on minimum wage?

No... they’re eating me out of house & home though!!!! :shock:

Back