Building an RTS with discs

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've a long history owning and enjoying gt rts bikes. My keeper is a team rts and over the years it has been rebuilt in various guises.

I've also acquired many spares to keep it running and recently had a spare rear-end converted to disc only. V bosses removed, tab welded and disc guides added as well as a bearing conversion for the rear pivots.

I can't see me using this on the team, but I have a spare usa built fromt end perfect for the project but have a few decisions to make which I hope some sage rbers can help with.

1. Hose run on the frame. Whst are my options for disc hose? Drill and feed through or cut and fashion a clamp from the existing guides? If the latter, how?

2. Build. What would be a good modernish option for gearing?

3. Forks and travel. 80mm has been my go to. Worth going longer or a bad idea?

4. Rear shock. I was intending to fit a risse on my team. Maybe the retro mod disc frame would suit this better?

Any advice or experience with doing similar to an old frame gratefully received. I did have a thought about perhaps making a short travel gravel bike from this but that would be silly right?

I can help with 1;

You could try the magura system of running a gear cable between the hose guides. One end has the nipple inside the frames cable guide at one end, and with the cable pulled tight, the other end is secured by a solderless nipple hard up/in the other cable guide. with a long length of heat shrink along the cable you can run the hose inside the heat shrink. It's a bit of a fiddle to get it neat, but it's the best solution I've found so far. Magura did sell it as a kit, but it really is just a gear cable, heatshrink and small solderless nipple.

You don´t need to drill anything to put hidraulic cables hoses. Some years ago I had the same idea and bought some adapters. I still have them. You have to fit them very carefully.

If i find them, I will post a photo.

Re:

I've got various adapters, just trying to get the cleanest run possible so willing to modify the front triangle to achieve if the result means I don't have to remove hose to remove brakes.

Back