'British' Clunkers dont exist so its another Tracker Homage instead: ''Wheezer #2 a new victim! Er, project!! ''

Here’s my tracker. Original I built in the late 70s but over the years a lot of parts have been replaced, replaced again, etc. I built it to ride woods trails and logging roads as there were no mountain bikes yet. I always had a spare as a guest bike. Old 3 speeds and department store bikes with 26 x 1 3/8 tires were in abundance and free. We broke or wore these out so the frames would be tossed and the single speed still good parts put on another frame, over and over. I recently saw pictures of British trackers and took my one remaining woods bike out of the attic and fixed it up. It’s got a small chainring from a discarded stationary bike welded to an old cottered crank, rear coaster brake and caliper brakes in case a chain brakes. I have a truss rod for the fork but I haven't decided if I’ll install it. F047AAF2-F5F1-4C7C-ADED-DF57215F0653.jpeg

Last edited:
Your bike is kind of like what they are now calling gravel bikes. My current bike for riding on woods two tracks, gravel and logging trails is based on a 1970s Panasonic built touring frame and fork. I had to use a frame dimpling tool to get 700c x 38 tires to fit the chain stays, that’s as big as I could fit. It’s got triple chainrings, 29er triple wall rims, vintage Huret large flange front hub and a thread on mega range cassette. Brake lever shifters and cyclocross brake levers on the bar flats. I used rivet nuts in the frame so I could mount water bottles. The carrier racks are homemade to custom fit my bags and welded up from a variety of scrap and old racks. I’ve had a total bike weight of 76 pounds + my weight on it for my solo wilderness adventure riding and camping. No cell service where I go. I carry a pistol in the head tube triangle to help me sleep in the bush as the food can attract coyotes, bears, wolves and mountain lions. I think the pistol is nothing more than a security blanket, but it does allow me to ignore all the critters that come around. 9F186955-FDCC-4F75-BFE8-F1EA21CE05F7.jpeg 0108580A-E3CB-4D9E-B7C3-E920B21EC082.jpeg

Eeek scary critters you need guns to protect yourself from. Being from the UK the scariest creature you encounter when camping is yourself or another person and you're not allowed a gun anyway. Suddenly I like the UK more than I usually do😁

Your bike is kind of like what they are now calling gravel bikes. My current bike for riding on woods two tracks, gravel and logging trails is based on a 1970s Panasonic built touring frame and fork. I had to use a frame dimpling tool to get 700c x 38 tires to fit the chain stays, that’s as big as I could fit. It’s got triple chainrings, 29er triple wall rims, vintage Huret large flange front hub and a thread on mega range cassette. Brake lever shifters and cyclocross brake levers on the bar flats. I used rivet nuts in the frame so I could mount water bottles. The carrier racks are homemade to custom fit my bags and welded up from a variety of scrap and old racks. I’ve had a total bike weight of 76 pounds + my weight on it for my solo wilderness adventure riding and camping. No cell service where I go. I carry a pistol in the head tube triangle to help me sleep in the bush as the food can attract coyotes, bears, wolves and mountain lions. I think the pistol is nothing more than a security blanket, but it does allow me to ignore all the critters that come around.View attachment 587244View attachment 587245
I wish we were gun free. There are so many guns here it’s stupid. I’m forced to have one at home as it’s too dangerous to not have one at home. I hate it, all the guns. In several states you can own machine guns, if that’s not stupid I don’t know what is. You need a special permit to carry a gun concealed on a bike or in a fanny pack, but the permits just require money and a half day range shooting.., dime a dozen. Of course if your really into expressing your right to bear arms you can walk around with your pistol in a holster where it’s visible. Such a crock. I take mine off my bike and put it in a Fanny pack if I go into a market, restaurant or convenience store. You can’t leave your gun unattended. I’ve never used it but I sleep in peace in the bush. I never take it on solo bush day rides, but that is when I’ve seen all the critters. I’ve enjoyed my two trips to the UKand find it relaxing to bike ride and hang around in a gun free environment.

Back