Bright ideas for spreading dropout - not widening OLN?!

I had the same thing once. Measured what I needed with a vernier. About 0.5mm. Had the right paint. Filed it very carefully. That keeps the temper of the metal.

Can you get a nut and bolt in there and undo them to open it out?

beat me to it. would have to be a small N&B though.

If it were me, I wouldn't rule out opening it up with a wedge, as said already, round bar would be my choice - how closed up is it? pics would help.

Is there enough room for a 10mm allen key in the widest part and gradually tap it out towards the opening?

(If not, it's really FUBAR at a guess!)

OOooooo, now that's a good point. slip the largest allen key in that will fit (flats against the flats of the dropout) and rotate the allen key to force the dropout open. for more effect, use a larger allen key, but grind it thinner on opposing sides to fit in the dropout.

It's a common trick for opening up struts that slip into hubs on some cars.

..... but using the leverage of the allen key won't involve an hammer. ;)

Perhaps you have a 9mm allen key to start with, albeit it is an odd size, hence my suggestion to try with the 10mm in
the widest opening first.

Large adjustables and Stilsons often have a hole in the end of the handle for hanging them up. Slip the end of the drop out through the hole and gently lever open the gap to suit.

.....all this engineering, making my head swirl and reach for the wine bottle. Carry on, but we need before and after pics....

Back