boy"O"boy's 1992 Marin Pine Mountain / Browning suspension

Re: Re:

So after trying every Neon Orange paint that was available 🤦 ..... I finally settled on MR OX's suggestion. It's definitely lighter than the previous version (before I chipped it!)
but still seems quite orange (red?)
I think my problem lies with the fact the white primered bars had 2 coats of orange then several coats of lacquer. The frame has had more coats of orange which has made the colour a deeper hue. This was also white primered though. The lighter orange decals highlight this too.

The lighting for my iphone pics makes a difference too...
pic 1 - indoor halogen spots
pic 2/3/4 - non direct sunlight
pic 5 - direct sunlight.

Either way... the build begins!
Rear wheel has had it's spokes tightened and trued. Most parts are ready to go (Thanks to raidan73 and retrobikeguy :cool: )

Completed pics to follow on soon. In the meantime, here's those comparison pics. Forks and stem balanced in place to give a better idea.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Did you look at Rust-Oleum Hard Hat Fluorescent 2255? I'm currently looking at neon oranges for a possible painting project and was tempted by that one because the Rust-Oleum paints tend to get fairly good reviews.

Did you look at Rust-Oleum Hard Hat Fluorescent 2255? I'm currently looking at neon oranges for a possible painting project and was tempted by that one because the Rust-Oleum paints tend to get fairly good reviews.

Holy thread revival!
Not added anything to the PM build thread since November 2020!.....then just when I'm planning some content for my Offroad Pro-flex thread, the Pine Mountain surfaces again! 😃😉

This still sits proudly in my collection. A BOTM winner back in 2019....and one of only 2 Marins to win the accolade as far as I know.

To answer your question @kingoffootball I don't think this paint was even available when I bare metal resprayed back in 2019. I don't remember the 'hard hat' tag. 2255 is the RAL? @MR OX came up with the best neon for brightness at the time...the rest didn't have enough zing!
Re:

I owned and raced one of these back in 1992, the frame and forks were my 16th birthday present...and were bought from Ben Hayward Cycles. I was lucky enough to race for them a few years later.

If anyone ever wants to sell theirs then please contact me first...especially if it came from Ben Haywards!!
Still very much own this one. Have I done anymore with it? Well, I was never that happy with the bars so I replaced them with some neon orange Taper lites....they match the neon orange of the frame perfectly.
IMG_20210808_000722_330~2.jpg
IMG_20210807_235721_996~2.jpg IMG_20210808_001340_785~2.jpg

Did a Marin ride out with @nporternz on it sometime back now.... 20210704_110221~2.jpg

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Last edited:
Well, I thought bumping the thread would be worthwhile as well. I'm sure there are people who didn't see it the first time.

Was that the Plastikote you used in the end to get the neon zing? If so I'll add that to the list of possibles.

Good to see the bike out with another nice Marin.

Well, I thought bumping the thread would be worthwhile as well. I'm sure there are people who didn't see it the first time.

Was that the Plastikote you used in the end to get the neon zing? If so I'll add that to the list of possibles.

Good to see the bike out with another nice Marin.
Yeah. It's the plastikote that Mr OX suggested that's the colour here. Don't know how versed you are at painting...but white primer and not going too heavy on the coats keeps the neon 'zing'
Three layers of 2K clear coat keeps it glossy.
4 years on from resto, the neon is still sharp.... although I am careful with not exposing my bikes to direct sunlight/ UV

@boy"O"boy wasnt long after that picture I blew out the rear rim!!

the browning was interesting to ride though
@nporternz was a good ride out that!
20210704_110258.jpg
Here's the damage!

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Yeah. It's the plastikote that Mr OX suggested that's the colour here. Don't know how versed you are at painting...but white primer and not going too heavy on the coats keeps the neon 'zing'
Three layers of 2K clear coat keeps it glossy.
4 years on from resto, the neon is still sharp.... although I am careful with not exposing my bikes to direct sunlight/ UV

Thank you, that sounds like a good option then.

Who did the decals mate? Got a 90 Team project that'll need some.
Cheers Ed.
They were from Velocals in the US.

*However* I've just read that from Jan 23 - Velocals has ceased trading. The online shop now doesn't work but someone had screen shotted this before it disappeared
Screenshot_20230420-113616~2.png
Looks like Gil_m is now your man for the job, although I think there's some German members here that may be also reproducing Marin decals.

boy"O"boy

Last edited:
Cheers Ben, remember hearing they were shutting which was a huge shame. Gil's are ace but from memory of the one's he did for a mates 91 Pine Mountain each letter was an individual decal rather than a full transfer like yours and like the originals, if that makes sense?

Back