boy"O"boy's 1991 Raleigh Dynatech Endeavour x2!!

Fascinating - that stuff works damn well!
This is the first time I've seen a Dynatech bonded frame of any type stripped bare! al the detail is there too see! Really impressive frame!
Looking forward to this!
Yeah. The Langlow Strip away pro came from recommendation here. Done 3 frame and forks from that tin so far! - works like Nitromors used to before they took out the active ingredient!

Interesting to see on the bare frame that the only Aluminium casting is the headtube. I always thought the seat stay junction was too but it's clearly steel. When I washed the Langlows off the surface rust had formed on it overnight.
Now cleaned back.

Bet this will look amazing when you have finished Ben. Following with interest...😎
Cheers Pete.
I'll be adding to this as I go along. Would be nice to have this done by the time the voting ends for August's botm bonded special...that it's twin is entered into!

Hi all.
So....finally. Free time and great weather for outside painting & drying. Progress has been made!

1 + 2
The stripped frame was given the once over to check all the old paint was off. It was then etched primed using UPOL etch primer.
I protect the bottom bracket threads by inserting milk bottle caps. The rear derailleur hanger has a bolt threaded in as well as the bottle cage mounts.

3 + 4
Still undecided to go with a rigid or flexstem for this build (got both in the parts collected for this)
This stem came from Nporternz off a trashed Voyager.

Stripped using another dose of Langlow strip away pro.

6 + 7
Cleaned back and ready for etch primer.

UPOL high build primer applied over etch primer.
Wet rubbed back between coats. Stem ready for colour....frame needs a bit more attention to detail before the purple goes on the main tubes.
20210828_133226.jpg 20210828_133157.jpg 20210828_141241.jpg 20210828_141247.jpg 20210828_142040.jpg 20210828_160854.jpg 20210828_160907.jpg 20210828_182322.jpg
More updates to come.....

Cheers all.
boy"O"boy

Last edited:
Re:

Spec list:

Frame:'91 Dynatech Endeavour 2070 tubing FRAME #BO5078
no rack eyelets on rear stays. Main 'purple' tubes all original paint and decals.
Head tube casting, chainstay repair and seat stays sympathetically resprayed to colour matched original paint.

Fork: 653 'tandem' straight blade forks? - original paint and decals

Headset: 1 1/8" Tioga Avenger
Stem: 1 1/8" NOS Flexstem
Handlebar: NOS Reynolds 753
Grips: NOS Campagnolo bullet shift
Bar Ends: Won't work with bullet shifters!!!

Brakes: NOS Campagnolo Centaur 'graphite colour'
Brake Pads: Campagnolo
Brake Cables: Campagnolo
Cantilever cable hangers: Campagnolo
Brake Levers: NOS Campagnolo Centaur 'graphite colour'
(All of the above came from a box fresh set)

Shifters: NOS Campagnolo bullet shifters 🤦 (never again!)
Front Derailleur: NOS Campagnolo Centaur 28.6mm
Rear Derailleur: NOS Campagnolo Centaur
Derailleur Cables: NOS Campagnolo
Cassette: Miche 8spd
Chain: KMC 8spd
Chainset: Campagnolo Centaur
Bottom Bracket: NOS Campagnolo Centaur
Pedals: NOS Campagnolo Centaur
Toeclips: NOS Mt.Zefal
Toestraps: NOS Mt.Zefal Christophe

Hub Skewers: Campagnolo
Rims: NOS Campagnolo CONTAX dark anodised. - should be Campagnolo THORR rims.
Hubs: NOS Campagnolo Centaur
Nipples: aluminium
Spokes: DT Swiss DB
Tyres: NOS Tioga Wonderdawg 1.95 Amberwalls
Tubes: Presta
Saddle: San Marco - original spec should be Campagnolo Electa
Seat post: NOS Campagnolo Centaur 27.0mm X 350mm
Seat post Binder: NOS Campagnolo

Weight: Not so light for the top of the 1991 range!
Hello.

Been a while since I've been on RB... Came here to tell you how much I love your Dolomite. It's sensational and also deserved BOTM. While here I have also fallen for your Dynatech - another awesome build! Thanks.

Hello.

Been a while since I've been on RB... Came here to tell you how much I love your Dolomite. It's sensational and also deserved BOTM. While here I have also fallen for your Dynatech - another awesome build! Thanks.

Cheers HK. Thanks for the kind words.
The Dolomite was definitely a dream spec build for me. The sort of thing I would have planned out over and over again in my school exercise book! The BOTM line up was tough that month with some great entries (as every month really!) So I was chuffed to come 2nd to Adrian's fantastic brodie.
There are definitely fewer Dynatech Endeavour's than Klein Dolomites! - bearing in mind that they weren't far off the cost of the Klein when new and the unfavourable MBi review not many would have been sold at £1395!
4 known so far....

Thanks again.
boy"O"boy

So. After a bit more prep rubbing back and recoating the primer, the first colour is ready to go on. The forks have been rubbed back and primed to but a little more work needed on these.
The purple Mica 💜 on the main tubes was colour matched by the paintstore in Leamington Spa from the frame before it was stripped.
I'd left the frame with them for a week or so and they used their colour match tech to get an exact match.
The paint looks very 'Cadbury's chocolate' at the moment but rest assured, I've done a test piece and lacquered it. It really comes alive when the clearcoat goes on and the metallic 'pops'

Back to work so this will rest for the week before masking up and going on with the pink Mica.

Here's where I'm at so far..
20210830_180237.jpg 20210830_180307.jpg 20210830_180514.jpg 20210830_180727.jpg 20210830_182307.jpg 20210830_182331.jpg

Cheers
boy"O"boy

So. After a bit more prep rubbing back and recoating the primer, the first colour is ready to go on. The forks have been rubbed back and primed to but a little more work needed on these.
The purple Mica 💜 on the main tubes was colour matched by the paintstore in Leamington Spa from the frame before it was stripped.
I'd left the frame with them for a week or so and they used their colour match tech to get an exact match.
The paint looks very 'Cadbury's chocolate' at the moment but rest assured, I've done a test piece and lacquered it. It really comes alive when the clearcoat goes on and the metallic 'pops'

Back to work so this will rest for the week before masking up and going on with the pink Mica.

Here's where I'm at so far..
View attachment 566570View attachment 566571View attachment 566572View attachment 566573View attachment 566574View attachment 566575

Cheers
boy"O"boy
Looking really good so far!!

Latest posts

Back