boy"O"boy's 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp.

Which colour scheme would you like to see this Stumpjumper in?

• 1. Keep it original 1990 white and red

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • 2. 1989 Stumpjumper comp purple/white

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 3. 1988/89 Stumpjumper Team colours

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 4. 1990 Team jersey inspired colour scheme

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

Tricky one this: my ‘88 has a 27.2 post, but it looks like the 89 team had a 26.8 going by this pretty detailed post.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=190169

I can’t figure out any logic or continuity on frame numbers a cross model years.

And as you mention, there seem to be lots of pics of comps without a rear canti noodle, and both have the shaped seat tube top.

According to the catalogue there is half a degree difference in head tube angle (!), don’t know how you’d measure that ....

So short of getting hold of another 89 frame for a side by side comparison I’m running out of ideas.

Either way, it’ll build into a goodun :cool:

Re: Re:

doctor-bond":2nmurlue said:
Tricky one this: my ‘88 has a 27.2 post, but it looks like the 89 team had a 26.8 going by this pretty detailed post.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=190169

I can’t figure out any logic or continuity on frame numbers a cross model years.

And as you mention, there seem to be lots of pics of comps without a rear canti noodle, and both have the shaped seat tube top.

According to the catalogue there is half a degree difference in head tube angle (!), don’t know how you’d measure that ....

So short of getting hold of another 89 frame for a side by side comparison I’m running out of ideas.

Either way, it’ll build into a goodun :cool:

Thanks doctor-bond.

Getting hold of another 1989 Stumpjumper as a bare frame probably isn't going to happen. :| So Instead, I've managed to get the frame on some scales.

After a long chat with someone with far greater knowledge of Tange Prestige tubing than me! - We've come to the conclusion that this is indeed a 1989 Stumpjumper Comp. ( I've changed the title of my thread to reflect this....but have kept all the other references in the thread )

How did we decide this?
1) The frame weighs 2470g
A comparable Tange Prestige frame of a Similar vintage such as an Orange prestige weighs 2000g (2KG) Tange prestige is approximately 1/5 lighter than Cromo steel.
This would mean that this frame is not Tange Prestige as it's 1/5 heavier than an Orange Prestige.

2) The other frame features such as the 26.8mm seatpost, top of seatpost detail, rear seat clamp without band, and seat stay mounted cantilevers point to this being a 1989 Stumpjumper.

3) The trace of Original paint in the fork steer is white with a gold tint. Traces of this were found all over the frame when the repainted white was stripped.
Pic 1 shows what it would have looked like in original colours.....except that magazine pic has the cantilever noodle! :facepalm: :facepalm:

The frame, fork and stem are now fully stripped back to bare metal.
Decals have been ordered. :D

Fully committed to a re spray now!

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• stumpjumper strip frame and fork 3.jpg
    stumpjumper strip frame and fork 3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 586
  • stumpjumper strip frame and fork 2.jpg
    stumpjumper strip frame and fork 2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 562
  • stumpjumper strip frame and fork 1.jpg
    stumpjumper strip frame and fork 1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 562
  • stumpjumper strip frame and fork.jpg
    stumpjumper strip frame and fork.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 562
  • stumpjumper 2470gscales2.jpg
    stumpjumper 2470gscales2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 562
  • stumpjumper 2470gscales.jpg
    stumpjumper 2470gscales.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 584
  • 89 stumpjumper comp white mag pic.JPG
    89 stumpjumper comp white mag pic.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 587
Re:

Odyssey Vapour stem stripped as well.

Frame, Fork and Stem are now in Primer. Top tube handlebar dents and Chainsuck damage repaired.

Team Jersey inspired Colour scheme to follow. Hoping to paint this and Lacquer within the next few weeks. Watch this space......

boy" :D "boy

Attachments

• stumpjumper primer 1.jpg
    stumpjumper primer 1.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 559
  • stumpjumper primer.jpg
    stumpjumper primer.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 560
  • odyssey vapour stem 1.jpg
    odyssey vapour stem 1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 561
  • odyssey vapour stem.jpg
    odyssey vapour stem.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 561
Still a lovely bike. Only difference between team and comp was tubes. All the gear was the same if I remember correctly.

nporternz":e1xh6sfq said:
Still a lovely bike. Only difference between team and comp was tubes. All the gear was the same if I remember correctly.

Cheers Nic.

No updates as such....
Progress on the Stumpjumper has stalled for a bit. The 'Jersey' inspired colour scheme has not worked out well at all. :( ..... one of those schemes that when you draw it out, it looks good. In reality, it just doesn't work (for me anyway) in those colours.
I'm not going to show pictures, but I'm disappointed with the results. I've decided to strip it all back again and go with the original Pearlescent white with blue/red decals.

In the mean time....
The Specialized Rims have been re laced onto Deore XTII hubs and most of the M730/32/35 kit needed has now been sourced.

I've also been going back through old MBUK's/ MBi's looking for 89 Stumpjumper comp reviews and have come up with this one from Aug 1989.

Enjoy. :D

Will update with progress as it happens but focus has gone onto the Dynatech Odyssey for the time being, as that's nearly ready to build.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• MBUK_AUG 89_Stumpjumper5_reduction.jpg
    MBUK_AUG 89_Stumpjumper5_reduction.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 119
  • MBUK_AUG 89_Stumpjumper4_reduction.jpg
    MBUK_AUG 89_Stumpjumper4_reduction.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 120
  • MBUK_AUG 89_Stumpjumper3_reduction.jpg
    MBUK_AUG 89_Stumpjumper3_reduction.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 116
  • MBUK_AUG 89_Stumpjumper2_reduction.jpg
    MBUK_AUG 89_Stumpjumper2_reduction.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 117
  • MBUK_AUG 89_Stumpjumper1_reduction.jpg
    MBUK_AUG 89_Stumpjumper1_reduction.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 117
  • MBUK_AUG 89_cover_reduction.jpg
    MBUK_AUG 89_cover_reduction.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 116
So. Progress on the '89 comp at last!

The Jersey inspired colour scheme didn't go as planned. 🙄 ....so the frame was stripped back a 2nd time and etch primed again.
Citroën pearlescent white chosen, the frame was resprayed and clearcoated.

Here it is in it's final format. True to it's original colourway and Shimano XT spec....with 4 finger levers and Turbo as the Aug '89 MBUK review.
The Rider T1 tyres are a close fit in the frame....if the conditions were muddy, it wouldn't be long before the frame would get clogged.
Dry and High days though...I'm sure this would be ace.
This and the Dynatech Odyssey were bought as stop gap restoration projects.....with the intention of moving both on.
I like the Dynatech too much, so most likely this will move on to fund the Aluminium "O" prototype and 2nd Dynatech Endeavour restorations.

Whilst I decide, here's some pics of the finished result.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy
20210425_125819.jpg 20210425_125832.jpg 20210425_125841.jpg 20210425_125854.jpg 20210425_125931.jpg 20210425_125936.jpg 20210425_125944.jpg

Looking good as always, and like the jersey, haven't got that one :cool:

Back