boy"O"boy's 1989 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp.

Which colour scheme would you like to see this Stumpjumper in?

• 1. Keep it original 1990 white and red

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • 2. 1989 Stumpjumper comp purple/white

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 3. 1988/89 Stumpjumper Team colours

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • 4. 1990 Team jersey inspired colour scheme

Votes: 8 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: boy"O"boy's 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp.

Peachy!":581et36i said:
Option 2....

The “original” voters must have been fraudulent, or voted from the grave... or... or... :facepalm: :LOL:

Star12":581et36i said:
Well that sucks... :x

The vote was stolen! I refuse to accept it...

Option 4 - Team Jersey inspired colours is the clear winner!! I look forward to seeing the build! ;)

Star12

STOP EVERYTHING!!! - THE WINNER IS NOT THE REAL DEAL!!

*SIGNIFICANT DEVELOPMENTS MEAN THE VOTE IS VOID*!!!

So. The strip of the frame has begun..... but before I got stuck in, I looked to get my decals ordered.

Then I saw this request from barkda the mtb chat -

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=420645

1st thing I noticed was that his decals are very different to the ones on mine. Mine are in fact the 1991 Version (or very similar) :?

Then the paint stripper comes out. The paint is shot anyway so regardless of final colour, it would have needed stripping anyway. As Langlows takes effect - a chunk of filler comes out of the crank clearance on the chainstay...... revealing loads of chainsuck gouges underneath. That surely wouldn't be there if this was original paint?

The more I investigate, it seems there is 'another' white on top of a 'gold tinted' white.
The paint on the fork steerer seems to be the original colour, but I'd put the darker white down to years of grease from the headset. One of the paint guys at work reckons this has definitely been rubbed down and repainted over an original colour - there's 3 distinct layers. This would make sense why there's filler in the chain stay.

Investigate some more. There's no seat stay cable stop like on the 1990 version. When rubbed back to bare metal - there's no sign either that there ever was one? - If there had been one, there would be traces of where it had been in the bare metal.
The seat clamp is also different - not a band like on the 90, but a rear clamp. It also looks as if the shape has been filed down - but not dissimilar to Spanky's 89 team on the previous page.

So what Stumpjumper is it? - It's definitely not a 1990 or later.

1988 would have had chainstay U-brakes so it's not one of those.

I'm guessing it's a 1989 Stumpjumper that's been painted up to look like a 1990, probably because the gold tint in the white had not aged well.

What 1989 Stumpjumper though?

It's not the pink/ green one. I'd have found traces of this colour when stripping down the paint. This is white. The forks are the same white underneath too which suggests they are the original direct drives.

The next nearest is the Stumpjumper Comp. Here's a pic from the readers section of a mint 1989. It's in black though :? .....but if you look in the Catalogue in the Archive, the same bike has a footnote at the bottom saying it is also available in white. The next pic is what it could be if this is the white version? with blue decals?

The bike it could be is the 89 team. With bare metal...I've no way of confirming this is Tange Prestige. It feels comparable to the frame weight of my other 2 Tange prestige builds before I'd built them up.
I would have thought the team would have deleted the eyelets on the rear, but if you go back to Spanky's pics the the previous page....It's got the same seat tube detail and eyelets. :?
Again, chatting with my painter mate, You would definitely lay the white down 1st over a white primer before painting the pearl grey. Painting this the other way round would require more white to cover the grey.

So it's either an '89 comp or '89 team that we're talking here. But which one?
The frame number is M8L 84423

Any Specialized experts able to decipher this number? - there's not a lot online. :?

Here's some pics.....

All opinions welcome.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• 1990 stumpjumper comp seatclamp.jpg
    1990 stumpjumper comp seatclamp.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 504
  • stumpjumper seat stay.jpg
    stumpjumper seat stay.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 503
  • stumpjumper original paint.jpg
    stumpjumper original paint.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 501
  • stumpjumper strip fork 2.jpg
    stumpjumper strip fork 2.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 502
  • 1990 stumpjumper comp real2.jpg
    1990 stumpjumper comp real2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 503
  • stumpjumper 90 start4.jpg
    stumpjumper 90 start4.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 502
  • stumpjumper 90 start1.jpg
    stumpjumper 90 start1.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 504
Re:

more pics.....

Pic 1 - Chain suck damage that was covered with filler

Pic 2 - Drive side fully stripped

Pic 3 - Non drive fully stripped

Pic 4 - 1989 Stumpjumper Comp in Black

Pic 5 - 1989 Stumpjumper comp in White. Is this correct?

Pic 6 - 1989 Stumpjumper Comp Catalogue pic. Mentions white as alternate colour scheme

Pic 7 - 1989 Stumpjumper Team

Attachments

• 89 stumpjumper team catalogue.JPG
    89 stumpjumper team catalogue.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 506
  • 89 stumpjumper comp catalogue.JPG
    89 stumpjumper comp catalogue.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 507
  • 1989 stumpjumper comp white version.jpg
    1989 stumpjumper comp white version.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 508
  • 1989 stumpjumper comp black.jpg
    1989 stumpjumper comp black.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 509
  • stumpjumper frame strip 2.jpg
    stumpjumper frame strip 2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 505
  • stumpjumper frame strip 1.jpg
    stumpjumper frame strip 1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 504
  • stumpjumper chainstay.jpg
    stumpjumper chainstay.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 502

New poll needed! Yours has eyelets on dropouts so should be a Comp (according to catalogue specs).

Re:

Cheers CTK.
Probably won't do a poll again as I'm pretty decided on what I'm going to do now. When I thought it was a 90 with rough paint, I wasn't too worried about keeping originality but if this turns out to be a genuine 89 team....that's one of the favourites on my 'want' list, so I'd be putting it back to that spec/colour scheme.

If it is an 89 comp.....that's now an opportunity to do a team jersey inspired colourway. I'm not as keen on the white and blue to be honest.

CTK":159cpous said:
New poll needed! Yours has eyelets on dropouts so should be a Comp (according to catalogue specs).

Spanky22b's 89 team has eyelets on the drop outs. This is what confused me. In bare metal they look exactly the same as there's no way of telling if this is prestige or chromo. Suppose I was hoping it could be identified from the frame number in some way?
The catalogue specs seem to differ slightly from what was actually sold. The pic of the comp in the catalogue has brake noodle on the rear stays...where as the picture of an actual black one doesn't :?

Attachments

• s4 (800x600).jpg
    s4 (800x600).jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 429
  • s1 (800x600).jpg
    s1 (800x600).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_3856.JPG.jpg
    IMG_3856.JPG.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 429
  • IMG_3341.JPG.jpg
    IMG_3341.JPG.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 429
Re:

To tell if the tubes are prestige or not might be tricky unless you have a side by side comparison to test for pingyness and weight.

What about seatpost diameter?

Why would anyone paint an '89 Stumpy to look like a '90 Stumpy?

Far more likely is someone has painted a '90 HardRock or Rockhopper to look like a '90 Stumpy. Have you looked at those bikes for something similar?

Also just to add, if you are not certain which bike it originally was then all the more reason to paint it a custom colour of your own choosing. Then there is no risk of accusations of 'passing off'.

I really like your second drawing on the previous page.

Re: Re:

doctor-bond":36h9fkw3 said:
To tell if the tubes are prestige or not might be tricky unless you have a side by side comparison to test for pingyness and weight.

What about seatpost diameter?

Thanks Doctor bond. I've been reading through the 88 Stumpjumper Team link in your signature. The identification for model years is very useful. Like the video link that shows the 'pingyness' :D ..... I'd say mine sounds similar. The down tube especially.

Link here..... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=162372&start=10

You mention that the 1988 models are all stamped 8F in their frame numbers. Do you think the M8L in my frame number has any significance as a model identifier?

The seatpost size is 26.8mm

The seat tube external diameter is 28.6mm

The frame is at work but I'll get it on some scales when I can.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• stumpjumper seat tube dimension.jpg
    stumpjumper seat tube dimension.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 364
  • Stumpjumper seat post dimension.jpg
    Stumpjumper seat post dimension.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 364

IJohnson":28bcwv4o said:
Why would anyone paint an '89 Stumpy to look like a '90 Stumpy?

Far more likely is someone has painted a '90 HardRock or Rockhopper to look like a '90 Stumpy. Have you looked at those bikes for something similar?

Also just to add, if you are not certain which bike it originally was then all the more reason to paint it a custom colour of your own choosing. Then there is no risk of accusations of 'passing off'.

Thanks IJohnson.

I agree. Why would anyone paint an '89 Stumpjumper to look like a '90? - Doesn't seem to make sense. Then again, tastes in colours and specs changed pretty fast too....I'd already stripped and polished my Ali 'O' after 2 years riding. Partly because the paint was wearing and partly because it already looked dated and I wanted the latest anodised components. Last years models were no long De rigour.

The chain suck damage to the chain stay that had a filler repair could suggest that this Stumpjumper may have seen a lot of use before a re spray....perhaps it was someone's race bike that was then sold on after a couple of years and someone has taken it upon themselves to 'tidy' it up. The decals on the re spray were in the same font as the 1991 Stumpjumper Comp. I'd guess it's been done after this using old stock details... red script with blue underlining. Maybe the intention wasn't to look like the 1990 Stumpjumper Comp...just personal preference or ease of re spray? White over white wouldn't take too much preparation.

However, It's definitely not a Hardrock or Rockhopper from 1989 or 1990 as the seatclamp is very different on all of these models. The seat stays also have rack mounts.
I've added pics to demonstrate this.

My frame is either a Team or Comp from 1989. The seat clamp and detail at the top of the tube can narrow this down, as well as the rear brakes being mounted on the stays and not a chain stay U-Brake.

Suppose what I'm trying to find out is if this is a genuine 1989 Team. If I'm going to the effort to restore, I want to make sure it's the real deal. I'm a stickler for research, and I'd be kicking myself if it turned out to be a genuine Team.
Like you say though, if it's not then I've got no problems in doing my own thing with a team inspired colourway.

Here's those pics...

1) 1989 Hardrock
2) 1989 Hardrock seat stay
3) 1990 Hardrock
4) 1989 Rockhopper
5) 1990 Rockhopper
6) 1990 Rockhopper seatstay

cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Rockhopper seat stay.jpg
    Rockhopper seat stay.jpg