Boulder Defiant, one of my unicorn of the 90's...

freddok

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi All,

Here's my first build thread for one of my preferred bike during the nice 90's period. I've widely drooled on it looking at MBA magazine articles or ads. Like a lot of us it was not easy to buy or find theses nice US made frame here... I'd seen for a long time a nice complete Defiant on Ebay US (for sure, a lot of you've seen it...), but at a price beyond my financial means. But some months ago I tried to negotiate the price for the bike minus fork and wheelset, cause I already had some rims and planned another fork for a nice frame like this (it had a Spesh Future Shock on it).
I argued also on the shipping and customs charges for a complete bike and finally they accepted and I placed order. The bonus, they're lowered the custom value without I asked for so a really nice surprise... ;)

Not sure of the year, serial number don't help and even if the initial build is with 93-94' parts, the decals look later so I would allow myself to put some cool newer parts on it.

boulderdefiant1B.jpg

Arrived at home, I stripped it for a good clean and the fun can begin... 😄

IMG_4538.jpeg

Very good condition... No crack or dents and paint in a good condition apart on right dropout, but in the same time I've planned to repaint it, so...
Not the same for the Risse shock who need a complete rebuild. It's here (one) of my first problems as Risse sell seal kit for a 1.125" Genesis damper but after measuring the shaft with calipers, it appear be a 1", so I need to find the correct seals.. 😢. Apart that, servicing sounds really friendly compared to some other shocks.

One of my funniest time (for the moment) of this build was when I received the fork I planned to set on the Defiant. A nice Judy FSX with a Risse Gem cartridge... 😎
What I didn't know was that I had bought a nice specimen of Frankenfork... It's not the correct brake arch I know, but I prefer a clean Judy one than a cracked FSX one. Also, I dont know if I go to a polished or frame colour matched paint for it so, I take my time. But if someone had a Styff Shock Bone in his spares box, why not... 😉

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-1.jpg

Suuurpriiiiiise !!!! A nice genuine plastic cartridge instead of the Risse...

IMG_4536.jpg

Obviously, some MCU's were melted but they are already replaced advantageously by SRP springs like cartridge internals with SRP Judy service kit... Thanks to @kokies !!

IMG_4615.jpeg

The cartridge hadn't seen any oil between long time ago and was completely dry. The shafts coated with a nice mix of dry grease and settlings...

IMG_4616.jpeg

IMG_4617.jpeg

The other find in this surprising fork is an another empty cartridge... Maybe I buy a secret prototype ???

IMG_4618.jpeg

I know now why a lot of Retrobiker prefers rigid bikes.... 🤣

More to come... Stay tuned if you like this beginning...

Thanks for reading !! 👍

still the best looking FS bike. The only FS I'd ever ride. Watching this build

Good find Fred I think you will make it shine and I look forward to seeing the progress 😎.

I would have liked to leave it with it's original paint (it's really nice green like a British Racing Green but in candy flavour...) but like you can see on the pictures below, it have a paint bump on the right dropout (slight corrosion under it or bad surface prep on this point...), so I think a new paint would be necessary... On other hands, I've already sourced a nice green Bullseye front hub so I think green will be a secondary colour for some parts, like headset, etc... 😉

IMG_4626.JPG

IMG_4624.JPG

About colour, I've ordered a lot of samples from Prismatic Powders . They've a lot of nice colours in a ton of nuances, some with effects, and I find a small paint shop on the French west coast who use it between some years with success, at a fair price, so...

IMG_4608.jpeg

Not sure at this time, who's the winner (my wife is on the Teal, I more on the purple blue... 😄). Not sure also If I go with one or two colour frame like older's Defiants... Still a lot of questions at this time.

IMG_4614.jpeg

Some parts of the future build with the colour theme, Green, Black, Polished Alu to help me to make the final sort. I think the winner is here (apart the Teal...) 🤔

More to come... 😉

Last edited:
Keep it original,it's not that bad Fred
Aaaaargh !!! You don't help me with this answer, Pete !!! But maybe you're right... But in this case, what do I make with my green Bullseye, a keyring ? 🤣 (on other hands I've planned to put a White Ind on rear and I've also a front, so...)😉

Sorry mate, didn't mean to give you a headache over decisions.
You could always sell the bullseye hub to me😉
It will look amazing with a new spray job!

Back