Bottom Bracket size identification

billo

Retro Newbie
I recently bought a Raleigh Dyna Tech 2060 frame marked Special Products Division and another sticker showing Phil Sherwood. Serial No AA 4709. I came to fit the bottom bracket and found both sides are Right Hand Thread. It appears to accept the left side cup of a British BB on both sides. I contacted Condor Cycles who were super helpful and informed me a Raleigh would never have been made with an Italian Thread BB (also larger cup size) and they can only guess that it has been re threaded at some point incorrectly. The previous owner claimed the bike frame had been built with a Dura Ace group set but this seems unlikely. I am guessing it will require a threading of the right side before anything will fit? Unless anyone has any other ideas, thanks in advance

Thank-you for both Replies the BB shell is 68mm

Attachments

• 20220706_132608.jpg
    20220706_132608.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 13
If there is a builder near, I would go and show the frame. It seems a hell of a mistake and not a simple fix

Sheldon Brown has a file on how different cups fit in different BB threads, it suggests your BB indeed has the wrong threads: (scroll down)

I do remember the first generation Shimano cartridge BB's had a bit of an odd set up

Its a cast BB shell so it could be reamed then helicoiled

I seem to remember having a few frames that were back to front, very early 1990's

luckily I think the frame I have, which is back to front has a Specialized BB in it.

Back