BotM, November 2020 nominations thread DIRT DROPS SPECIAL

Bloody hell ^^ I know I’m going to get crispy flame grilled here but .....this is the first bike without one of those ridiculous giraffe neck stems that sticks up 5 feet just so you can fit drop bars and bring the ride position back down to the same height as a flat bar (Granted LGF’s is higher and drops lower than a flat bar position)

The Fox actually looks right - even though countless numbers of folk are going to line up to tell me 200mm rise is the right choice and this one is all wrong !

Having written this month off as a brave mistake I will actually bother to vote now !

Retro Spud":2nmfq1at said:
Bloody hell ^^ I know I’m going to get crispy flame grilled here but .....this is the first bike without one of those ridiculous giraffe neck stems that sticks up 5 feet just so you can fit drop bars and bring the ride position back down to the same height as a flat bar (Granted LGF’s is higher and drops lower than a flat bar position)

The Fox actually looks right - even though countless numbers of folk are going to line up to tell me 200mm rise is the right choice and this one is all wrong !

Having written this month off as a brave mistake I will actually bother to vote now !

I dont think you could be flamed for your thoughts to be fair, it looks right when compared because of the wheel size and its geometry, its a hybrid with drop handlebars. 700c wheels not 26". Or you could call it a cyclocross bike rather than a Hybrid or mountain bike. Cool and still in lovely condition too.

I feel your pain though, and id be the first to admit, getting the riding position right isn't easy without sacrifice, that's for sure.

Re:

Sinnermans Roberts WSII "Etto".

A work in progress.

Build Spec List....

Frame...Roberts White Spider II, Fillet Brazed Reynolds 531 Mtb specific/Tange Prestige Mix. (Std Cable Route option)
Forks...Manitou II
Paint Finish.....ETTO..., Black White Pink.
HandleBar... Godfather donation. MTB (short) Flared.
Handlebar Stem...Salsa Drop Bar, (Roller Removed.)
Handlebar tape....White, Perforated 3TTT
Headset...Suntour XC PRO. with WTB grease guard.
SeatPost....Selcof+ITM
Saddle....Black 92 re-issue.. suede Turbo.
Q/Rs.....Suntour XC PRO.
Rear Mech....Suntour XC PRO
Front Mech....Suntour XC PRO
Gear Shifters....Suntour Command.
Cantilevers....Suntour XC PRO...(Self energizing-rear only)
Brake Levers....Diacompe Gran-Compe drilled Aero Levers.
Cables...Suntour Accushift. Suntour
Cranks/Bottom Bracket.....Tioga Revolver.
Chain RIngs... Chris Bell "Egg" RIngs...factory Drilled
Hubs...Suntour XC PRO Grease Guard.
Sprockets...Suntour XC PRO.
Rims....Specialized..BXL21 1.5 , hard Black anodized.
Spokes....Wheelsmith Double butted Stainless.
Tyres....IRC X1 92 amberwall.
Pedals....Suntour XC PRO grease guard.
Toe Clips/Straps..Mt II... Black/B

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=345045

Special thanks to Pete, for all the help so far.

Attachments

• Roberts WSII-Suntour-Manitou..jpg
    Roberts WSII-Suntour-Manitou..jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 696
  • Etto-WSII.JPG
    Etto-WSII.JPG
    471.4 KB · Views: 697
I'll throw my Merlin in the ring:

iveto1983's 1990 Merlin Titanium

50633740658_4e14711b30_b.jpg

50633741543_9dd0f0bb40_b.jpg

Build thread just put up here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=420968

I know they can look weird with the high rise stem, but they're really function following form. The idea with dirt drop bars is to ride solely in the drops, and to get that position roughly level with a flat bar position. It's nothing to do with a racier position, it's main benefit (in my experience) is a much more comfortable ride because your arms are not locked at the elbow as your hands are rotated almost 90 degrees outwards. Dedicated dirt drop bars are also much wider and flared in the drops, and aren't shaped to ride on the tops or hoods.

thanks for insight both, As far as ride position for the hands I guess these ^^ morphed into Mary Bars as the latter appear (never owned any) to position you hands somewhere close depending upon the rearward bend.

to me On Ones Mary bars are only a reincarnation of bars found on turn of the century bikes or the type James Coburn rode with in the great escape

No such thing as a new idea in cycling ..... just a lot of folk with short memories

Attachments

• James coburn.jpg
    James coburn.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 658
Yep, totally agree, the closest hand position I've found is a set of Jones H-Bars but Mary's look similar.

Moustache bars are similar to old cafe racer bars, and give a comfortable hand position, but they tend to be narrower and not flared, so are more like a road drop bar position (minus the drop).

just been looking again at the bars on Jimmys Bike above and if you turned them upside down they'd make very mild dirt drops :facepalm:

WimVDD":1bhk9lve said:
Love the Fox but it's not a mountainbike, no?

Lol! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: none of them are Mountain Bikes anymore...... :xmas-big-grin:

Back