BotM July 2019 - nominations thread

Why thank you. Good to see the mixed case messaging is back. Your signature style.

Are you building small yet?

The History Man":3ahszm0r said:
Why thank you. Good to see the mixed case messaging is back. Your signature style.

Are you building small yet?

Sorry fat fingers...LOL.

Build it and they will come...!!!

EDIT: a couple of posts have been made whilst I've been writing this and as such this doesn't necessarily apply to them - I've not read them yet.

Let's face it, BotM is not the be all and end all. There is a massive amount of useful and entertaining content on the site. Most bikes that have been entered previously can still be found here and there's absolutely nothing stopping people bumping their build threads if they've put one of their bikes back into circulation after a few years in storage. Personally I'd welcome that. A build thread gives many more opportunities to appreciate and learn about a bike than a couple of pics in BotM. The BotM rules are fairly simple and are there for a reason. People have knowingly tried to flaunt the rules over the years (I'm not saying that applies to mojo ti) which reinforces the need to have them. Sure people are going to disagree with things but it's basically just nitpicking. I spend time trying to organise the competition each month and I can tell you it doesn't pay well. Seeing all the negativity just makes me wonder why I bother.

We all know that the platform could do with updating. John himself has talked about it several times but perhaps money and time constraints are an issue - I really don't know. Being able to support uploads from mobile devices would have a massive impact here. I'm sure it is the single biggest reason that things have dwindled. The search function isn't the greatest but with a bit of persistence you can always find what you're looking for unless the particular thread has been inappropriately named. Rather than moaning why not do some digging and go down the rabbit hole - I spent hours doing it when I first joined and found some great content which I would've otherwise not seen to this day.

Re:

I joined a few years ago so am still pretty new to the forum, it is full of great people, knowledge & information! Having been on forums that are not as active as they once were or up to date as new ones I need to say be thankful for it, I've seen a few shut down & lost whole communities & tonnes of expertise.
As for Botm, it's a thankless but well managed job, so respect is due!
What I will say is that it's rare you get a blow up on here, however all the ones I've seen feature similar instigators & you kind of shrug it off, you always get people like that in life.

Re:

Seems totally reasonable that you can’t keep entering the same bike every month again and again.

Got to have some kind of guidelines

I got kicked out of last months BoTM Mayhem special as I didn’t update the photo in time.

Fair enough, you accept it and move on, no hard feelings or flouncing

Now that was a silly read.... come on girls, let’s settle down.....

The History Man":1bwohocz said:
How many bikes is that? Two?

Five pages and two bikes. Great value for money! Might have to enter something myself at this rate

Re:

Been here nearly 15 years now and I do not have any issues with the Rules or anything else on this site, I personally think that the people who give their time to keep this place going are doing a good job, I can only think that issues like this leave the mods feeling a little disheartened sometimes.

Now..... Can we see some more entries please

I'll get the ball rolling with my Circa 1985 F W Evans

531 frame and fork married to a 1989 XT groupset, not shiney or period correct but still a bikey I likey

Build thread http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=399459

IMG-20190710-100121.jpg

IMG-20190710-100206.jpg

Back