98+ BoTM BotM January 2022 - nominations

Yeah, I noticed that the road section doesn't have a start and end date, so just assumed 'all things road' go in there. However, the post '98 section doesn't actually say MTB either.

Yeah, I noticed that the road section doesn't have a start and end date, so just assumed 'all things road' go in there. However, the post '98 section doesn't actually say MTB either.

I'd noticed that about the road section too. I've never noticed if there's an unofficial cut off year people tend to go with?

The heading at the top of the main page says "Any bike chat which doesn't fit elsewhere should go here too."
It seems to me that "2001 Roberts Fixed Road" would fit elsewhere. Without a stated cutoff date, I would say that the Vintage Road section is appropriate. 2001 is hardly modern for a road bike.
This is only an opinion, and not a strongly held one, I won't go into battle over it. I also have opinions on that 1998 cutoff date for retro/vintage. The goalposts need to be moved.

The heading at the top of the main page says "Any bike chat which doesn't fit elsewhere should go here too."
It seems to me that "2001 Roberts Fixed Road" would fit elsewhere. Without a stated cutoff date, I would say that the Vintage Road section is appropriate. 2001 is hardly modern for a road bike.
This is only an opinion, and not a strongly held one, I won't go into battle over it. I also have opinions on that 1998 cutoff date for retro/vintage. The goalposts need to be moved.

That 98 cut off date comes up in conversation quite often here and there are usually reasonable cases put forward, for and against it. I'm pretty sure it'll never move

My view is perhaps a little different to most. I don't think the 98 cut-off needs to move necessarily, but I think 98 onwards needs an end date, maybe 2010 or 2008 for symmetry, and a new heading created for truly modern stuff

My view is perhaps a little different to most. I don't think the 98 cut-off needs to move necessarily, but I think 98 onwards needs an end date, maybe 2010 or 2008 for symmetry, and a new heading created for truly modern stuff

I suppose with the site being aimed at the "golden" period of bike manufacturing and the current cut off date is a reflection of when that really started to disappear then anything after is just that, and therefore supplying an end date seems irrelevant.

I suppose with the site being aimed at the "golden" period of bike manufacturing and the current cut off date is a reflection of when that really started to disappear then anything after is just that, and therefore supplying an end date seems irrelevant.
True, but as more and more time goes by the 1998-200X bikes with 26" wheels and rim/early disc brakes will be looked more vintage than just old bikes. Therefore it might be wise to set a cutoff year also to these bikes, and maybe open a new space for modern bikes. If there really is a need for modern bike discussion in a retrobike forum.

True, but as more and more time goes by the 1998-200X bikes with 26" wheels and rim/early disc brakes will be looked more vintage than just old bikes. Therefore it might be wise to set a cutoff year also to these bikes, and maybe open a new space for modern bikes. If there really is a need for modern bike discussion in a retrobike forum.

This is true, but they will still not be part of the era or resources that this site is chiefly aimed at conserving.

Well yeah, but there's stuff from after 1998 that is retro in its own right, even if not as cool as the 'golden' era, so we should separate newer retro and not-remotely-retro modern stuff.

Back