Books or dvds to help me with my motorcycle theory test

longun

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
To borrow or buy, test is booked for may and I really struggle with tests....even though I set them as a college lecturer haha

Ta

Do you drive a car? if yes you should be fine, its just road sense basically. There are plenty of free mock tests online for you to practice on too.

Re:

Yeah......didnt go as planned, been driving for decades.

The mock are good but I'd like to read the info too, more for peace of mind as I've not had loads of experience on motorbikes, justvthe occasional braap in quarries etc

Your best bet is to buy an app as they’re not too bad anymore. I'd normally recommend checking out charity shops but you're out of luck on that one at the moment.

Most ATB's (Approved Training Body) have 'The Essential Skills' knocking around, so ask the school you have booked your training with, they might lend it to you - but it's very dry. It's the 'official ' guide.

'Learn to Ride' is not bad and a bit more informative.

'Learn to pass the test (and be a great rider too)' is a waste of money.

....I might have a copy of all of them... I'll have a look tomorrow

Last edited:
Just passed my theory test two weeks ago. CBT and Mod1 for category A licence passed last week. Starting lessons for Mod2 next week.

The multiple choice section is very easy, and if you brush up on highway code and signs, you really cannot fail this part. It is the hazard perception test that is more tricky.
I subscribed to the DVSA online motorcycle package. £20 ? for 3 month access. Would thoroughly recommend for the hazard perception test. There are about 100 example scenarios to practice on firstly. Note that these are old, poor quality ’video’ examples, but serve their purpose nevertheless. Once completed, you do mock tests that use the more recent CGI scenarios. I found these to be much easier than the old video versions, because the developing hazards are more contrived, slower, and easier to react to. At least three of the actual test scenarios were almost identical to those tried in the mock! Practice, those mock scenarios, and develop a strategy on how best to react.
Note, in the mock tests, i appeared to have about 10 clicks before being penalised. In the actual test, this was more like 7 clicks, and i got zero points on two scenarios at the start, for clicking too many times. That certainly set the heart racing, and adrenaline kick in!

How did this go Chris, have you taken and passed it yet?

Back