Bontrager Racelite rebuild advice

Getting back to bare bones before new groupset arrives. I’d forgotten about the fragile canti-bosses on these frames. In good condition so should live another 30 years…

Annoyances/questions-
1. Rivnuts tightened on 3 of the 4 bottle cage bosses but the final one may need to be refitted. I can’t get enough of a bolt through before it starts to spin and I can’t grip it well enough to chase the threads.

2. Front mech bottom-pull wheel thing has a boss on the frame. Does anyone know the gauge of the bolt? Looks like an m4 or maybe even m3 but haven’t got a chainset extractor atm so can’t check.

Used xt groupset in good nick will get a clean up and go on sale once I’ve the new 952 set to put on.

Attachments

• 6432A61E-76F4-418F-9E98-52C8AAE08E59.jpeg
    6432A61E-76F4-418F-9E98-52C8AAE08E59.jpeg
    333.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 0A0A11DC-6EBD-4FB5-83BA-9325506FAD4A.jpeg
    0A0A11DC-6EBD-4FB5-83BA-9325506FAD4A.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 865B219D-D7D8-4C08-8F5B-D4DADAC29BB2.jpeg
    865B219D-D7D8-4C08-8F5B-D4DADAC29BB2.jpeg
    381.6 KB · Views: 13
  • B9F6B554-70BB-410C-8589-C4B3686FE39E.jpeg
    B9F6B554-70BB-410C-8589-C4B3686FE39E.jpeg
    371.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 43DDECA5-1086-44B5-9319-2BC7CC72AA57.jpeg
    43DDECA5-1086-44B5-9319-2BC7CC72AA57.jpeg
    455.7 KB · Views: 19
Nice. Bontragers had a small rubber cover over the seat tube slot to keep dirt out.

You can make one out of a piece of image inner tube, cut one end straight and one end at an angle. Dead easy.

Are you going to go for angled frame panels too?
Hi. I remember the inner tube trick from my previous Racelite - thanks for the reminder!

Decals are original so probs won’t change them. It’s coming up nicely!

I would actually suggest you've decided to keep/update the wrong thread here... seeing as how you're building/fettling this beauty, updates on progress definitely belong in the reader's bikes forum, I reckon!

After all, you're a reader and this is your bike! ;)

Nice. Bontragers had a small rubber cover over the seat tube slot to keep dirt out.

You can make one out of a piece of image inner tube, cut one end straight and one end at an angle. Dead easy.

Are you going to go for angled frame panels too?

I was actually about to ask you about this...

Mine came with one of those, and I noticed you had one on yours too. Wondered if it was a Bontrager thing, or a rider preference thing.

It's a good idea, and I like homemade hack type of things like that.

I assumed it also helped avoid the cables rubbing the frame there, too?

I would actually suggest you've decided to keep/update the wrong thread here... seeing as how you're building/fettling this beauty, updates on progress definitely belong in the reader's bikes forum, I reckon!

After all, you're a reader and this is your bike! ;)

I was actually about to ask you about this...

Mine came with one of those, and I noticed you had one on yours too. Wondered if it was a Bontrager thing, or a rider preference thing.

It's a good idea, and I like homemade hack type of things like that.

I assumed it also helped avoid the cables rubbing the frame there, too?
Ha! I’m not doing very well with admin here am I?! I’d missed where this thread was placed.

Jack, give me a shout as I have 2 XT groupsets available. One a 1989 M730 ish 7 speed with thumbies the other a mid ‘90s M739 8 speed. Francis has my number. Give me a shout even if you’re not interested as it would be good to catch up.
I will never forget that day when your original was stolen I felt so sorry for you.
Nidge.

Jack, give me a shout as I have 2 XT groupsets available. One a 1989 M730 ish 7 speed with thumbies the other a mid ‘90s M739 8 speed. Francis has my number. Give me a shout even if you’re not interested as it would be good to catch up.
I will never forget that day when your original was stolen I felt so sorry for you.
Nidge.
Hi Nidge. So good to hear from you! I’m sorted for a groupset actually. Got sucked into a non-contemporary but pretty 952 vortex.

Would love to catch up. Will message you. Hope you’re doing well.

Got sucked into a non-contemporary but pretty 952 vortex.

Well just this dogs opinion but was going to say you need to lose the v brakes. i think 952 is a terrible choice for this bike. The set of xtr++ from article is perfect but unobtainable. Next best imo would be xt from 92-93 with silver cantis. Or maybe xc pro… keep the fork for now but this bike needs a proper rigid fork.

952 is from a totally different era where I thought bontrager geo had stopped being relevant, and nine speed was a compat nightmare, hurts to see an emblem of this era upgraded to nine speed.

Well just this dogs opinion but was going to say you need to lose the v brakes. i think 952 is a terrible choice for this bike. The set of xtr++ from article is perfect but unobtainable. Next best imo would be xt from 92-93 with silver cantis. Or maybe xc pro… keep the fork for now but this bike needs a proper rigid fork.

952 is from a totally different era where I thought bontrager geo had stopped being relevant, and nine speed was a compat nightmare, hurts to see an emblem of this era upgraded to nine speed.
Please don’t hold back, will you?!

Sorry you disapprove so strongly. This is one to ride and I never said I would build it up as it would have been.

I love this bike and can’t wait to get riding it again!

Please don’t hold back, will you?!

Sorry you disapprove so strongly. This is one to ride and I never said I would build it up as it would have been.

I love this bike and can’t wait to get riding it again!
Yeah, that is me. I guess my mind gathered a bunch of bad juju about 952 over the years. So much flux and bankruptcy in the industry. 952 is so well made and yet so incompatible. I don't really care for its style but thats maybe my age talking.

If you want to just ride the bike then nothing wrong with what you have now. Ride, wear it out and upgrade. I think a better approach than buying a groupset from a different era is to slowly replace parts so you converge on what you want long term.

I was in santa cruz in 89-92. Never owned a bontrager but I remember the shop and remember how innovative keith was. You've got a cool bike but it has limitations.

If you want something that is awesome to ride get a modern 29er hardtail with tubeless tires and a 140 fork.

Latest posts

Back