Bontrager Racelite rebuild advice

That's a great bike. I wouldn't respray it as I think it looks nice as is - unless the paintwork is knackered.

hat are you using it for - proper riding or bimbling about?

If its proper riding then I'd either keep the M750 on there or (horrors) go for a modern 1x setup and maybe some Box 3 v brakes.

if you want to make it more period correct then thats a 93/94 frame so you'd be looking at M737/9 or M900.

Have you got a roller under the front mech ? you should have given the cable braze on position as its designed for a bottom pull mech.

To my mind the only thing letting it down is the stem - it looks like 1 1/8th stem so I'd be looking for a 1" aheadset stem - maybe a controltech or salsa - they do come up on ebay from time to time. (oh, and the mis-matched tyres :) )

Failing that a thomson stem in 110mm with matching seatpost would ooze quality.

PS correct rear mech cable is routed to the left and then under the wishbone, not to the right and over. (Yes, I'm a pedant)

View attachment 581755
Super-useful! Thank you so much for your forensic eye and advice! Will read the articles now and am hanging my head in shame re the cable placement…!

Beautifull little ride you have there..

How do you use it? in my opinion a rebuild will depend a lot on that.

A repaint is a lot of work but also comes out beautifull if done correctly. How bad is the stage of the frame? maybe some retouching could do a lot?

If it was mine it would be rigid fork, short stem, nice rise and backsweep🤟🤠 (no repaint)

I wouldn't re-paint the frame , but I would colour match the forks, to the frame, in some way. As mentioned above; get a matching post and stem and, personally, I think a chainset that looks lighter in weight and some low spoke count wheels like Mavic Cross max, in all black, or something would complete the look. Maybe the older versions with the yellow hubs. Were they cross ride?

Love the current colourway, hopefully you’ll decide to keep the paint as is. Forks could do with being painted to match. Failing that, plain yellow. Otherwise it all looks good. Racface turbine cranks would go nicely though!

Realised I’d inadvertently started two rebuild threads. All here now.

Coming together…

New fork decals (thanks @gil_m)
USE post and Flite saddle
Controltech 1”stem
Continental Race Kings

Awaiting groupset and Bontrager bars…
E3B9F0B8-3195-4698-ADF0-B23D222A352A.jpeg

250D317A-8A03-4437-B195-8B2FA2B7AEB6.jpeg

8FFC0A18-FD63-4EB1-AF87-92F7005F30C5.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice. Bontragers had a small rubber cover over the seat tube slot to keep dirt out.

You can make one out of a piece of image inner tube, cut one end straight and one end at an angle. Dead easy.

Are you going to go for angled frame panels too?

Back