Bontrager Race

Tedgey

GT Fan
Ok so I thought I'd have a go at doing a build thread for my Bonti Race which I believe is around a 97/98 (wasen't sure which section to put this thread in šŸ¤£)
I got it all stripped to a bare frame today which was pretty hassle free with no stuck parts to deal with.
Did realise that although the crankset is a bonti race lite one it it's obviously a later replacement part.....no bother tho as it now means I can replace it with an m739 XT one when it gets built back up and have the complete groupset which is great as literally everything else is XT even down to hubs and headset.
First on the agenda will be getting some new graphics sorted and the frame sorted.
I've decided I'm going to have a go at stripping and respraying the frame myself with this one so if anyone has and recommendations on paint strippers and paints to use that will give a really nice and hopefully hard wearing finish then please let me know šŸ˜.
I'm pretty confident that most of the parts will clean up nicely although the forks are shot so will need a rebuild with with some new elastometers or some spring replacements.
The only other thing id like to source is some new rims to build up on the existing hubs as the bonti Mustang ones on there have pretty worn braking surfaces šŸ¤ž I can find a replacement pair of Mustangs or maverick rims.
Anyway here's some pictures to hopefully keep you guys interested šŸ¤£

Attachments

• IMG_20220904_145703.jpg
    IMG_20220904_145703.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20220909_184513.jpg
    IMG_20220909_184513.jpg
    445 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20220909_184522.jpg
    IMG_20220909_184522.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20220909_184537.jpg
    IMG_20220909_184537.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20220910_174729.jpg
    IMG_20220910_174729.jpg
    340.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20220910_174800.jpg
    IMG_20220910_174800.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Allllriiight :cool:

Definitely belongs in this section I think, especially as they were shut down that year as a result of not keeping with the times.

What paint/panel color are you going with ?

Allllriiight :cool:

Definitely belongs in this section I think, especially as they were shut down that year as a result of not keeping with the times.

What paint/panel color are you going with ?
AHH that's good to know found it hard to pin down exactly what yr, haven't seen another black one with those colours/spec.
Not 100% sure what colours to go for yet or whether to stick to the original black with yellow panels

AHH that's good to know found it hard to pin down exactly what yr, haven't seen another black one with those colours/spec.
Not 100% sure what colours to go for yet or whether to stick to the original black with yellow panels
Ah, I was just saying "that year" based on your thread title but given the details and the parts on there your date is probably right. Any numbers on the drive side dropout (not the serial on the opposite dropout) ?

mix and match options here:

View attachment 661400

any idea of paint codes for those chips ? You seem to have had success with your purple paint.

any idea of paint codes for those chips ? You seem to have had success with your purple paint.
Sorry, no. The purple on the racelite is nowhere near the original colour - still looks cool though. RAL 2004 is a good match for orange I think.

Ah, I was just saying "that year" based on your thread title but given the details and the parts on there your date is probably right. Any numbers on the drive side dropout (not the serial on the opposite dropout) ?

Nope nothing on drive side just a 5626 on none drive side

I have a race that I bought in 1995, so it's no earlier than a 95. Same color scheme as yours, except the shock is grey. The seat stays are a bit different--tubing with larger diameter in the upper portion & smaller diameter lower.

I just finally gave up on keeping the stock shock and had a framebuilder change the head tube to 1 1/8".
Now I'm looking for a decent, stiff shock that will play well with the frame geometry.

I have a race that I bought in 1995, so it's no earlier than a 95. Same color scheme as yours, except the shock is grey. The seat stays are a bit different--tubing with larger diameter in the upper portion & smaller diameter lower.

I just finally gave up on keeping the stock shock and had a framebuilder change the head tube to 1 1/8".
Now I'm looking for a decent, stiff shock that will play well with the frame geometry.

You had him do what now?!

Haven't managed to find any other pictures of a race in the same colour scheme when I was trying to date mine .....I'm pretty sure it's around 97 tho due to components

Back