Bontrager race ( not race lite)

If I was rich.

And shorter.

As I think I need an XL in Bontrager. Although I'm still trying to figure that out!

I'm 6ft, but with a short inseam (all torso).

Lovely, lovely colour and condition tho.

If I was rich.

And shorter.

As I think I need an XL in Bontrager. Although I'm still trying to figure that out!

I'm 6ft, but with a short inseam (all torso).

Lovely, lovely colour and condition tho.
You might surprise yourself! Bontys tend to be a long fit and standover is king with these - based on your height and inseam you would possibly get away with a Medium..

I've owned a Medium Race and currently have a Large. I'm around your height but have a longer leg I guess, so the Large suits me a little better.

I also briefly had a XL Privateer and trust me, it felt like a proper gate!

I'm 5'6" but T-rex (Ok maybe Velociraptor!) shaped, all leg, short arms and ride mediums with 90mm stems. With the stock 120mm stem they're too long, but if I went down a size I'd need a stupid long post.
The length of the top tubes only increases by 10mm per size, so an XL is only 20mm longer than a medium with a 4" longer seat tube and the same length head tube (107mm). There were two XXL sizes, one 10mm longer than an XL and a 'stretch' version that added another 30mm, both these had longer 131mm headtubes and 21" c-c seat tubes.
@pw_pw_la If you have short legs I'd probably look for the size that suits best for standover then play with the stem for length.

I'm 6'1 and ride a large privateer with a setback post and 120mm stem, and 2 large race's with 130-150mm stems. XL will work for 6" but more backpacker style.

Good advice from all, thank you!

The one I just found, admittedly I have a feeling it might already be sold, is actually two! One in L and one in XL. Unfortunately, the friend I'm potentially going in with wants/would need the Large.

There's also a little further research needed as they're both slightly later models then I would ideally like (I'm guessing around 95/96) so not sure if they're right in the cusp of the Trek takeover or not. The seller states they're pre, but, hey, they would, wouldn't they?

so not sure if they're right in the cusp of the Trek takeover or not.
It doesn't matter (to me), none of the races and race lites were built by trek.

If it doesn't have two piece seat stays and the front mech mount is on the rear of the seat tube then it's a post 95(ish) bike, which is when trek were involved from

Post 95 bikes both then.

Although, the Race is white, with silver decals. Which, as far as I can tell from catalogs, was a color option only offered in 95?

I have a Race Lite with single piece seat stays, white with silver/yellow decals. It is either 95 or 96, and it is actually pre Trek. I know this for a fact because I still live in Santa Cruz County, CA, and my brother knew the guys who worked in Keith's shop on seabright. They welded him up one of the last Race Lites for him (for free!) that came out of the shop before everything went to trek. Then my brother gave me the frame (for free!!). I will be doing a build thread on it soon, and can share more, but I think the take-away with Bontrager frames is that there seem to be a lot of "variants" that deviate from the standard frames from particular periods. Mine would be one of those variants.

Back