Bontrager Race Lite

I’m in London - they charge you £20 just to have look through the window!

Still.. this is the most likely option.

Are all the other fittings and threads on your frame okay?
Well.. so far, so good.. haven’t fitted rear mech or bottle bolts yet. Obviously the former would represent a problem if oversprayed.. the latter.. well, less so.. Vs went on fine.

You’ve made me tense though. I’m sitting watching Ben Fogle.. but now weighing up if I need to make a nighttime venture into the wilds of my back garden to try and stick the mech on. Jees.

The close up of that BB shows some messy paintwork. What happened to the gusset area? And that's a lot of bubbles in the paint!..damn

Don’t get me started. BJC did not cover themselves in glory with this work.

Still haven’t gotten round to taking her to a bike shop to have those threads chased.

I have an unacceptable habit of diligently tracking down all the parts I need for a build, setting aside an afternoon to do the work… then… as soon as I run into a snag… well, the bike joins my sorry but increasing collection of 75-95 percent complete bikes 🤦🏼‍♂️

I swear.. 3 free hours and sufficient motivation and I would have another 4 bikes finished. Yes, including the Bonty.

Why is it that starting off a build is so much more fun than sorting out the final niggles and having a rideable bike??

Sufficient motivation is the hard part ;P

Ive managed to finish one project since Jan 2020. 15 on the go.
Don’t get me started. BJC did not cover themselves in glory with this work.

Still haven’t gotten round to taking her to a bike shop to have those threads chased.

I have an unacceptable habit of diligently tracking down all the parts I need for a build, setting aside an afternoon to do the work… then… as soon as I run into a snag… well, the bike joins my sorry but increasing collection of 75-95 percent complete bikes 🤦🏼‍♂️

I swear.. 3 free hours and sufficient motivation and I would have another 4 bikes finished. Yes, including the Bonty.

Why is it that starting off a build is so much more fun than sorting out the final niggles and having a rideable bike??
Its not my frame but I would argue that the painter should give you a refund plus the cost of removing the current paint and paying for new decals. That is not a proper paint job. I used to do this for a living and would never in a million years let a customer take that away while paying me too.
BJC is still in business and should honor their mistakes. I'm shocked and sorry to see that on a beauty frame like this.

Yeah, I hear you. However BJC has changed hands and staff, so I don’t really have recourse. The whole episode, with a long delay on the order, the business closing then reopening then closing again etc., plus the worry about actually recovering the frame (and its sister) left a really sour taste in my mouth.

They obviously had orders to fill prior to closing and they did so with as little care as they could get away with. In my case anyway.

Painful lesson. Maybe I’ll send my next project over to you.. I have an MC1 Attitude crying out for a fresh coat of HLF 😊

I am actually in the process of rebuilding my painting shop. Both PPG and powder coating with the intention on perfecting a method for authentic Klein fades. But this will be a good year to sort out.
I have yet to see anyone(including Dave Wilkins) do the fades properly, and I imagine it will require a lot of trial and error with jigs and slides to aid in the process. Likely $1500-$2000 to recreate the fades in exact authenticity.

Well.. there are a couple of guys who do it well. Not as expensive as that - still a hell of a lot more than the Bonty cost..

I think the OG Klein stuff was hand mixed, which is one of the reasons it can be tough to replicate.

Unfortunately I’m not a huge fan of the original and admittedly rare colour scheme on my Attitude, so it will probably go at some stage.

Back