Bombers

Marzocchi service manual says 7,5 wt oil...

seals & slider bushings should be "normal" motocross stuff, nothing spezial - maybe I can find the similar types again.

Re:

No problem. If you need the service manual, they’re available here:

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/resourc ... nuals.html

Only thing to note is the supposed ‘98 Z1 manual actually shows the ‘97 fork. Internally the only difference is part number 12 is a rebound spring on ‘98 forks instead of the rebound stop bumper on ‘97.

I’m aware of the spec oil being 7.5wt, thanks, but I only weigh 70kg so after some reading online I chose to drop to a thinner oil to better suit how I want the fork to perform.

I’d be grateful if you could find out which generic bushings will fit, cheers.

Re: Re:

iveto1983":3m62moju said:
No problem. If you need the service manual, they’re available here:

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/resourc ... nuals.html

Only thing to note is the supposed ‘98 Z1 manual actually shows the ‘97 fork. Internally the only difference is part number 12 is a rebound spring on ‘98 forks instead of the rebound stop bumper on ‘97.

I’m aware of the spec oil being 7.5wt, thanks, but I only weigh 70kg so after some reading online I chose to drop to a thinner oil to better suit how I want the fork to perform.

Thanks, I plan to pop the forks apart tonight and have a look. I am think I should have replaced the pilot bushings when I did the oil seals

iveto1983":2rqhchy8 said:

part#12: correct

5wt makes sense ;-)

will take some time, need to research again...

cheers

iveto1983":3w2aadm8 said:
I don’t think the hydraulic cartridge has any effect on the rigidity of the fork, apart from the foot nut stopping the stanchions pulling out. According the the manuals, any play is most likely the bushings.

Easy enough to test anyway, just need to disassemble the forks and see if there’s any play between stanchion and slider without the oil, spring and cartridge in.

Took them apart tonight and had a look. Without the internals, I can get a couple of play at the top of the stanchion when I wobble it. I have attached a video to Dropbox here https://www.dropbox.com/s/fb6ubuf0xdeas ... 1.mov?dl=0. Is this normal?

Is it the oil seals from enduro I need to buy, or do I need the pilot bushing too?

sectionate":v8314mc1 said:
Took them apart tonight and had a look. Without the internals, I can get a couple of play at the top of the stanchion when I wobble it. I have attached a video to Dropbox here https://www.dropbox.com/s/fb6ubuf0xdeas ... 1.mov?dl=0. Is this normal?

Is it the oil seals from enduro I need to buy, or do I need the pilot bushing too?

I’d say you need bushings. My forks don’t have any noticeable play.

I’d recommend to continue the strip down and check them against the manual. If you want to post a video just with the stanchions out, I’ll compare the slider internals to mine.

You've got some old seals on there as well. Even though your bushings do have some play with the fork unloaded it may be different if they are at proper sag. If you don't get much play at sag then you're probably OK.

I have noticed a reduction of perceived play after fresh seals. I think that rubber gets softer with age and can increase perceived bushing play.

iveto1983":1sey39df said:
sectionate":1sey39df said:

I’d say you need bushings. My forks don’t have any noticeable play.

I’d recommend to continue the strip down and check them against the manual. If you want to post a video just with the stanchions out, I’ll compare the slider internals to mine.

I think I do. They'll be hard to find, regretting not buying more spared when they were available lol!

I took the stanchions out to check everything was there, and thankfully it was.

eshew":1sey39df said:
You've got some old seals on there as well. Even though your bushings do have some play with the fork unloaded it may be different if they are at proper sag. If you don't get much play at sag then you're probably OK.

I have noticed a reduction of perceived play after fresh seals. I think that rubber gets softer with age and can increase perceived bushing play.

The seals are five years old now, and sat unused for close to four years! I think i'll order a new set and maybe get a friend to machine a very slim shim

Back