Bombers

Re:

I've owned several sets of 2003 Marzocchi forks bearing the name bomber, and been happy with all of them. A great fork to have in the parts bin, very versatile.
I've had all of the below from 2003 (a great year for Marzocchi):
EXR Comp (same spec as MX Comp, but cheaper manufacturing from Taiwanese factory as opposed to Italy, with cheapo silver stanchions)
MX Comp 105mm travel air fork, v-brake and disk compatible
2x EXR pro more or less identical to MX comps, down to the brassy stanchions
2x Z1 drop-offs (130mm travel)
Recently acquired another MX comp from a friend, for a rainy day, even though I haven't got any projects in the pipeline to use it on. The marzocchis are famous for not needing serviced, and they were great value back in the day, and can be had for cheap now too.

The only later generation MX comp I have is a 2007 one with ETA travel lockdown. This year was supposed to be plagued with recalls on faulty forks due to Marzocchi having changed hands, but I haven't had any issues with mine.

Re:

Love me some bombers! I've got a shiver as garage wall art. Love it. Still works fantastically but had to retire it from riding due to too many interruptions. Everyone wants to talk about that fork :)

Bomber Z1 (1997) have the old Formula Brake standard - very hard to get adapter for actual brakes.

maybe this overview might help too:

Re: Re:

Captain Stupido":177unlc9 said:
sectionate":177unlc9 said:
66 triumph daytona":177unlc9 said:
I love my 96 and 97 Z1 and Z2 forks,but keep in mind pre 2000 Bombers run the infuriating I.S. caliper mounts so running discs will be nigh on impossible.

Surely an adapter is all that needed?

Fairly sure they're unavailable at the moment though... unless you go DIY. I think there's a group buy thread on here and the possibility that a batch will get made...

From my point of view it's a non-issue as i'm using v brakes. The steerer length on the other hand...

IS to post mount there should be adapters - BUT ver very hard for 97 (98?) models. as mentioined before they have old Formula standard...

My Marzocchi Bomber Z1 stanchions

This is where I am confused, my set are a 97 set (Stamped one the stanchion) but have IS mounts on a single side.

Mine also wobble front to back quite a bit when the front break is applied, does anyone else’s do this?

sectionate":1m0j82ki said:
This is where I am confused, my set are a 97 set (Stamped one the stanchion) but have IS mounts on a single side.

Mine also wobble front to back quite a bit when the front break is applied, does anyone else’s do this?

wobble? how much? of course it is no rigid fork ;)

I am not sure how to describe it best, but there is flex between the stanchions and the lowers when checking if the headset is loose (front brake applied, and the bike being moved back and forth slightly). The hub probably moved about 5mm...

Re:

Forks stamped 97 should be ‘98 model year, but made in ‘97. I have some ‘98 Z1 BAM which have a single IS mount on the left slider.

I’m no expert, I just last week serviced my 1st set of forks (these Z1), but I believe play between the stanchions and sliders is a sign of worn bushings, or something of bushings/seals/washers not seated correctly.

Also, if anyone needs some of the Enduro seal kits, Shockcraft in New Zealand have them in stock. I’ve ordered myself a couple of sets.

For this service, my dust wipers were in ok condition so I just changed the oil seals for some generic (probably motorbike) seals from eBay and used 5wt Motorex oil. There was some stiction at first but after cycling them a few times they’re much smoother and there’s no oil on the stanchions, which there was before with the old seals.

I changed the oil seals and wipers when I picked the forks up years ago, and then only rode them a few times! One of the oil dampers appears to be quite worn, so I think it may be that

Re:

I don’t think the hydraulic cartridge has any effect on the rigidity of the fork, apart from the foot nut stopping the stanchions pulling out. According the the manuals, any play is most likely the bushings.

Easy enough to test anyway, just need to disassemble the forks and see if there’s any play between stanchion and slider without the oil, spring and cartridge in.

Back