Bob Jackson World Tour, The Remix...

Finally fender progress, although not much... The fender reinforcements were invaluable for forming the first of three dimples on the rear fender and one more on the front. The reinforcement was used as backer for the actual dimple, the process was drill the hole, install a 5mm allen screw from the reinforcement side through the fender, add two washers with a dab of grease and a nut, tighten until you feel guilty and check your progress. Your result should be flat enough that the leather washer will conform to the fender when tightened with discretion.

This is not "end item hardware" just an example of what things look like.

Untitled by nemosengineer, on Flickr

Some time soon the chainstay dimples will be formed, wish me luck.

: Mike

Chainstay dimples were successfully formed... WOOT.

To form the dimples I was at a loss, I read most of the methods on the web and rejected all involving a block of wood, a dowel, and a hammer, not repeatable. Sheetmetal forming pliers, very expensive and long lead time. So I started looking for nylon inserted pliers this was starting to look possible but most of the shapes were useless. Next stop was nylon inserted jewelry pliers...

DING.DING.DING. We Have A Winner!!! Nylon inserted bracelet forming pliers on Amazon for $12.00 cheep and cheerful. Easy to use and very controllable, the best part is no distortion from forming and it doesn't leave a mark on the finish. Total time to perform the task was under an hour and that is with three fit checks.

And finally the aluminum showed up today for the daruma after being lost somewhere on the east coast for quit a while, so I guess I have to get off my butt and make a drawing.
I'm having second thoughts about exotic plastic spacers for the fenders so that may be changed to aluminum, better with shiny bits I think.

Thank you again for following along, my hope is that someone will find this stuff useful: Mike

Excuse my lack of progress, plumbing issues at home have eaten much of my free time. I am plodding ahead, I found a more stable bike stand on Ebay, when it arrived the mast section was very much stuck in the tripod... It took about three hours to non destructively extract. Anyways rust removal, zinc paste, a new mast bushing, tool tray, and a few other new parts and we are good to go. It even packs up nice.

Be Good To Each Other And Have A Great Day: Mike

Last edited:
Nylon inserted bracelet forming pliers on Amazon for $12.00 cheep and cheerful. Easy to use and very controllable, the best part is no distortion from forming and it doesn't leave a mark on the finish. Total time to perform the task was under an hour and that is with three fit checks.

Didn't know these existed. I just ordered one. Thanks! 👍

Useful things, these forums. :)

The daruma is finished, designed for a light press fit in the fork crown with Loctite 242. The relief in the back of the daruma is for steer tube drainage. The cross drilled hole engages two 5mm screws on the front and back of the fork crown, the bolts do not interfere with the central threaded 5mm hole for the fender mount screw. the daruma can be installed in two positions, position #1 is dead flush with the fork crown, position #2 is .050" recessed. The mockup photo is shown in position#2.

McMaster-Carr was the source for the 5mm ID X 13mm OD spacers, we are almost ready for fit up. Please note the high quality of my fabrication drawings which have a bad habit of changing on the fly :eek:👍

Success, We have a fit.

Best Wishes And Be Good To Each Other: Mike

Last edited:
Back