Bob Jackson to close after all

pigman":3ksw2m7s said:
Peachy!":3ksw2m7s said:
….. I wonder what Tony Woodrup has in mind for the brand now?
I didn't know there was a link between Woodrup & BJ ?? Has Woodrup bought the BJ name?

Apparently him and two others...

When I say apparently, I mean that’s what Donald told me this morning.

Nob":2cpa5tua said:
Covid strikes again.....sad news if this is final??

Pretty sure it had nothing to do with Covid. All staff working, protected industry, full order book, just the salesman from a local BMW dealer changed his mind.. leaving three local investors (lead by Woodrup) with a name but no building.

New landlord had prepared a three year lease, but no one paid the first months rent.

Such a shame, I wonder if it was the missing guy's money or his business acumen they needed to get back on track.
Looking at the capital raised by the new company it wasn't a huge sum of money initially.

I was too busy before Christmas to get over there with my respray job which is just as well I suppose but I was very close to ordering an Olympus in 853 tubing which would have been more disappointing to get knocked back on.

Must have been a bit of a roller coaster ride for the guys working there - closing - staying open - closing again, hopefully they can now plan their retirements and maybe some will keep the torches burning.

Mark.

There was a lot going on 'behind the scenes' as we say with all this but the full story may never be revealed. I know some of it but nowhere near all and I'm afraid I'm not telling on here what I do know - which was secondhand anyway. :|

Old Ned":3tuuvfpr said:
There was a lot going on 'behind the scenes' as we say with all this but the full story may never be revealed. I know some of it but nowhere near all and I'm afraid I'm not telling on here what I do know - which was secondhand anyway. :|

Ooh you tease!!!

It's all very confusing from the outside!
I wonder how Tony Woodrup is going to find the new young blood to build the frames if Donald couldn't? - "“None of the old staff are carrying on for now,” confirmed Woodrup. “We’ll be bringing in new blood, bringing in new apprentices."
With all the old frame builders being let go is Kevin Sayles going to take over as the main frame builder? It will need an experienced and talented man like him to carry on the legacy as intended.
The good news is that the portfolio will expand a bit if it all comes off so maybe we'll see a Bob Jackson gravel frame alongside the more traditional stuff. I'd like to see a touring frame with more tyre clearance than the World Tour, disk brake mounts and more braze-ons than you can shake a stick at.
It will also be interesting to see what Woodrup's interpretation of a little bit is - "The prices are going to go up a little bit".

I wish them all the best with it and look forward to seeing the new website and some frames later this year.
Mark.

Tee hee... apprenticeships for applying stickers.... that’s funny

Back