Bob Jackson to close after all

Back when I rode custom frames I preferred Woodrup over Jackson as they seemed much happier to do bespoke stuff rather than a customised version of a standard frame. Where paint work and the like was concerned Jacksons seemed to be better though.

jim haseltine":g96ech59 said:
Back when I rode custom frames I preferred Woodrup over Jackson as they seemed much happier to do bespoke stuff rather than a customised version of a standard frame. Where paint work and the like was concerned Jacksons seemed to be better though.

That must have been before Jacksons (allegedly) started painting Woodrup frames!!!

daccordimark":29qmimly said:
jim haseltine":29qmimly said:

That must have been before Jacksons (allegedly) started painting Woodrup frames!!!

BJ have sprayed Woodrups for some time along with the majority of work for other local builders and shops. What has now come onto the 'public domain' is basically what I referred to in my earlier post but didn't want to say until I knew it was common knowledge. I do however, know who the 'foreign' company is and my understanding is that they wanted to continue steel frame building in Leeds with some of their own builders. Mentioning Kevin Sayles, he is not getting any younger (aren't we all!) and who knows how long he will continue in his present role.

Re:

As a side topic (apologies), do Macklam still make frames in Leeds? I remember those from years back, mainly time trial frames

Re: Re:

pigman":393j4iye said:
As a side topic (apologies), do Macklam still make frames in Leeds? I remember those from years back, mainly time trial frames

Long gone I'm afraid. It was Bernard who was the frame builder, brother of top rider Jack (father of Vince a top rider also) and Paul (who was still riding TT's until quite recently). Learned his craft with MKM in Harrogate. I had a TT frame from him mid/late 80's - but it took 2 goes to get it right! 75 degree parallel angles and a very short wheelbase. It was however the frame I rode my PB 25 on and I also used it for distance work too, hence the bottle cage in the photo below. He also used the branding 'Sergio' which was how mine was named.

Here it is in action in a Harrogate Week evening 25 on 'Top Boro' in '86. A howling gale headwind out and a mad ride back. I did a long '59' and placed around 6th? One of Rob Loasby's Dad's excellent photos. Wheels were Assos 'aero' rims with Wolber 18mm tubs inflated to around 150psi! They made a terrific sound on a calm early morning TT.

I had some hair back then - with colour in it! :roll:

Attachments

• Harrogate week 25 1986.jpg
    Harrogate week 25 1986.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 291
Re: Re:

Old Ned":ink224v6 said:
pigman":ink224v6 said:

Long gone I'm afraid. It was Bernard who was the frame builder, brother of top rider Jack (father of Vince a top rider also) and Paul (who was still riding TT's until quite recently). Learned his craft with MKM in Harrogate. I had a TT frame from him mid/late 80's - but it took 2 goes to get it right! 75 degree parallel angles and a very short wheelbase. It was however the frame I rode my PB 25 on and I also used it for distance work too, hence the bottle cage in the photo below. He also used the branding 'Sergio' which was how mine was named.

Here it is in action in a Harrogate Week evening 25 on 'Top Boro' in '86. A howling gale headwind out and a mad ride back. I did a long '59' and placed around 6th? One of Rob Loasby's Dad's excellent photos. Wheels were Assos 'aero' rims with Wolber 18mm tubs inflated to around 150psi! They made a terrific sound on a calm early morning TT.

I had some hair back then - with colour in it! :roll:

Very nice - check out those quads! Classic time trial setup - the Boro' must have been nice and smooth to make 150psi bearable! Great time for those conditions, the tail wind never makes up for the head wind when it's that strong and you've struggled to keep on top of the gear on the way out. Bottom gear 55 x 17 or something ridiculous like that?

Mark.

So not only were you a top Time Trialist, but you were also leading the KOM in a grand tour at the time Ned!

Tommy27":umt01jny said:
So not only were you a top Time Trialist, but you were also leading the KOM in a grand tour at the time Ned!

There was a lorra hills on Boro' in them days tha knows. Wearing that wuz t'only way I cud gerrup 'em. :roll:

I weren't a 'top' TT'er. It was a 'second class' event in the Harrogate week calendar. Top lads rode an event on a different day.

V137 course ??
Nice shot of head down riding......hahahaha.....

I did the Harrogate Festival in 81 rode a 25 event on the V133 course starting near Wetherby on a very cold windy evening..won with a long 56 & I only managed a 1.1.01 & bitterly disappointing ride & remember being shocked at how quiet the A1 was on a midweek evening event......

Nob":1jseel90 said:
V137 course ??
Nice shot of head down riding......hahahaha.....

I did the Harrogate Festival in 81 rode a 25 event on the V133 course starting near Wetherby on a very cold windy evening..won with a long 56 & I only managed a 1.1.01 & bitterly disappointing ride & remember being shocked at how quiet the A1 was on a midweek evening event......

How did I know that out of all the people on RB it would be you who picked up on this :LOL:

I wuz only checking me back tyre mister 'cos it wuz gettin' 'ard and I fort I might of 'ad a puncture.

Nick L. pressed the shutter at the exact moment I lowered my head. It was V137, starting on the slip road off the York-Knaresbrough road and finishing on the opposing slip road across the DC. I got inside a couple of times on there which in some ways I prefered to V133. Both could be very hard and unforgiving on a bad day.

Back