Bob Jackson to close after all

Old Ned":31hze9k0 said:
Tommy27":31hze9k0 said:
So not only were you a top Time Trialist, but you were also leading the KOM in a grand tour at the time Ned!

There was a lorra hills on Boro' in them days tha knows. Wearing that wuz t'only way I cud gerrup 'em. :roll:

I weren't a 'top' TT'er. It was a 'second class' event in the Harrogate week calendar. Top lads rode an event on a different day.

Still under the hour was and still is a very respectable time. Specially on a northern course with potholes you could go caving in, unlike our drag strip south Southern courses.

I always love to see images on people time trialling on simply light, fast bikes with drops. Much better than all the aero malarkey.

Was that the club strip then?

Even at my slimmest I was always a trackie build. The only time trials I ever did were 10s and those were fixed.

Funnily enough for someone who prefers riding short distances, fast. I've now taken to Audax, but that includes cake stops.

Back on topic, I wonder what sort of prices and standard the new painting work will be

No pot holes on 'Boro courses. They were like motorways. And not club strip. I just liked the design of the jersey - and it fitted well ;)

Only time will tell regarding pricing. Don't expect them to go down though!

Re: Re:

Old Ned":2u2jo9tq said:
pigman":2u2jo9tq said:
As a side topic (apologies), do Macklam still make frames in Leeds? I remember those from years back, mainly time trial frames

Long gone I'm afraid. It was Bernard who was the frame builder, brother of top rider Jack (father of Vince a top rider also) and Paul (who was still riding TT's until quite recently). Learned his craft with MKM in Harrogate. I had a TT frame from him mid/late 80's - but it took 2 goes to get it right! 75 degree parallel angles and a very short wheelbase. It was however the frame I rode my PB 25 on and I also used it for distance work too, hence the bottle cage in the photo below. He also used the branding 'Sergio' which was how mine was named.

Here it is in action in a Harrogate Week evening 25 on 'Top Boro' in '86. A howling gale headwind out and a mad ride back. I did a long '59' and placed around 6th? One of Rob Loasby's Dad's excellent photos. Wheels were Assos 'aero' rims with Wolber 18mm tubs inflated to around 150psi! They made a terrific sound on a calm early morning TT.

I had some hair back then - with colour in it! :roll:

Don’t worry, copyright has long since lapsed. :D

Old Ned":2cnhoja9 said:
Nob":2cnhoja9 said:
V137 course ??
Nice shot of head down riding......hahahaha.....

I did the Harrogate Festival in 81 rode a 25 event on the V133 course starting near Wetherby on a very cold windy evening..won with a long 56 & I only managed a 1.1.01 & bitterly disappointing ride & remember being shocked at how quiet the A1 was on a midweek evening event......

How did I know that out of all the people on RB it would be you who picked up on this :LOL:

I wuz only checking me back tyre mister 'cos it wuz gettin' 'ard and I fort I might of 'ad a puncture.

Nick L. pressed the shutter at the exact moment I lowered my head. It was V137, starting on the slip road off the York-Knaresbrough road and finishing on the opposing slip road across the DC. I got inside a couple of times on there which in some ways I prefered to V133. Both could be very hard and unforgiving on a bad day.

Hahaha..because we are Testers who know our courses & how hard the Boro can be on a windy day as I found out but enjoyed the show as I had a trade pass at the time.

Me in 1983 but on the H25/2 which I enjoyed ever time I rode it as got under the hour everyone accept one......rode it maybe 9-10 times..

182BB452-54BF-446E-90E2-A488779D7616.jpeg

Re:

Interesting bike Nob, with the split seat tube
Who was the builder? I cant see the transfers clearly

Re: Re:

pigman":2l23mxnd said:
Interesting bike Nob, with the split seat tube
Who was the builder? I cant see the transfers clearly
Norris Lockley of Bespoke fame.. nice guy when I drew this up with him in his settle home back in 82 I think. 35” wheelbase..

Nob":1sho0gv8 said:
Hahaha..because we are Testers who know our courses & how hard the Boro can be on a windy day as I found out but enjoyed the show as I had a trade pass at the time.
Don't think I ever had a good ride on any of the Boro courses. About the only event I was at that wasn't wet or windy was a Festival test where I marshalled at the Baldersby roundabout. In the middle of one Knaresborough CC event it even snowed. To cap it all I got delayed by work one day and missed an evening 25 in conditions so good you could get under the hour pedaling with one leg.

The O2 wasn’t much better. If the wind was in the wrong direction, half the course was a desperate attempt to be as aerodynamic as possible while the other half was almost sit up and beg. At least the short downhill bit to the finish gave some relief.

No photos of me riding it though, as my dad didn’t do freebies for family!

Re:

Yes, the O2, what you say is correct. Once got to markham moor in about 20 minutes, thought I was on a flier. Think I did 1hr 10m.

My first time ever I did do a 58 on there on a Saturday afternoon middle marker event. It seemed windless, but there was no traffic. Some new kid won with I think a 53. His name was wayne randle.
My only time under the hour

Back