Black Friday

Re: Re:

technodup":29gu7x4r said:
Neil":29gu7x4r said:
FluffyChicken":29gu7x4r said:
I said nothing about consultants.

Raspberry PI found a market for something to help kids learn to programming, and adults alike. It moved into wider areas. From the onset they where looking to market it.
That's just spin.

The motivation for people at the outset was to encourage the younger generation to get back to past times where there was more innovative software development. That's an altruistic ethos, not a commercial one.
FFS it's not all about spivs in Savile Row suits working out ways to cream every last penny from the gullible public. The motivation is irrelevant, Pi saw a need, created a product to fulfil it, priced it as cheap as chips and PR'd the hell out of it. If you don't see that as marketing then you genuinely don't understand the term.
That's just bollocks - but people like you can only see it from that one perspective.

The people behind the Raspberry Pi weren't seeing a need per se, or a gap in the market - they had aspirations of an altruistic basis, in encouraging the younger generation to return to a degree of softwre innovation. Not for their own benefit.

technodup":29gu7x4r said:
OpenSource, charities, even foodbanks- they all understand marketing better than you. They might not realise it, or be able to describe the steps in 'consultant' language, or recite case studies to you but they're doing it all the same.
More utter rubbish.

The Open Source community and ethos didn't get started for any of the reasons you'd like to lay claim to, or claim credit for. It was about opening boundaries, the free exchange of information and collaboration - actually about not being restricted by commerical and proprietary interests. Not marketing a "product".

But the problem with you, is you can only understand such notions as if it all complies and is only there due to the concept of marketing.

If we listened to people like you, we'd have people trying to convince us of: "You know when you wanna go wee-wee? Well you only want to do that, because WE - the marketing people - WE created that house you live in, and that toilet in your bathroom. Curtains at your window? You only want them, because we arranged for a shop to sell them, prominence in that you'd know they were there, and a means by which to buy them. Without us, the clever, overarching marketing cabal, you'd not want anything - you'd be sat in a ditch, dreaming of having a shack and a muddy potato. Who rigs every Oscar night? We do, we do..."

Re:

Jeez Neil, you get going right from the crack of dawn don't you #insertsmileyfacefortheavoidanceofconfusionbytheeasilyconfusedandargumentative :)

Ive been at work nearly an hour, and up since 5, and wont be anywhete near as raving as you until tea-break at 10.30

Re: Re:

unkleGsif":33lfqkii said:
Jeez Neil, you get going right from the crack of dawn don't you #insertsmileyfacefortheavoidanceofconfusionbytheeasilyconfusedandargumentative :)
I did it just to give you something to post about, sunshine.

unkleGsif":33lfqkii said:
Ive been at work nearly an hour, and up since 5, and wont be anywhete near as raving as you until tea-break at 10.30
That's very interesting. Any other anecdotes to share?

legrandefromage":149k1kmj said:
I think I just shat myself after letting it go a bit too much.
Why, right there - that's marketing.

I think you'll find that's the 4 Ps - Prolific Precipitation of Poo in Pants.

Had you not had any pants on, then it'd merely be 3 of the Ps, and that wouldn't be numberwang.

And the only reason you're at liberty to do so, is because somebody already has marketed adult nappies.

Back