Black Friday

Re: Re:

Outside of large-scale commercial contracts, you can't even bring FOSS or Linux into a marketing discussion, because there is no monetary 'value' to the product. I know that my OS is supported purely by donations and the founder's financial input, as are most of the other programs I use. I haven't paid for a single piece of software since I stopped using Windows around 8 years ago.

highlandsflyer":3hgue6po said:
I like to think, at times like these, what Jesus might do.
He might sell TVs at knockdown prices. He might sell iPhones.
Marketing his ideas, and those of His Father, would be the idea behind it all though.
What exactly is Walmart's idea?
I doubt it would be similar to the hirsute, sandal-wearing deity.
If you actually believed that he was real, that time when he threw the money-changers and animal-sellers out of the temple would probably be a good indicator of his marketing strategy.
Walmart, on the other hand, are the commercial embodiment of Satan himself.
:p

xxnick1975":36frocd5 said:
Shit me, a Polaroid flat screen for eighty squid......

Why didn't anyone let me about this!!!

Probably because they knew you wouldn't want to buy an utterly crap & unreliable product that didn't sell throughout the rest of the year. Polaroid is just a recognisable name that got bought by the makers and stuck on the box - they have absolutely no connection whatsoever to venerable camera producers of yore.

unkleGsif":22f3qj9t said:
Neil":22f3qj9t said:
legrandefromage":22f3qj9t said:
I wonder how many keyboards Neil goes through.
I do it with the power of my mind
And there's me thinking you used a cheap tablet...
Neil":22f3qj9t said:
, and the gentle hum of superiority.
Never a truer word said in jest
Tag, and you're in.

Suprised it's not another whiny PM, with you protesting how you're really not argumentative, at all, it's just me...

Re:

:facepalm:..

actually, no... :)

Obviously my bad for not trying hard enough to convey jovial sarcasm... however the response should not have been unexpected. DAMN ME! (smileyfacehappywinkyface to avoid confusion)

Re: Re:

Neil":27drj4n8 said:
FluffyChicken":27drj4n8 said:
I said nothing about consultants.

Raspberry PI found a market for something to help kids learn to programming, and adults alike. It moved into wider areas. From the onset they where looking to market it.
That's just spin.

The motivation for people at the outset was to encourage the younger generation to get back to past times where there was more innovative software development. That's an altruistic ethos, not a commercial one.
FFS it's not all about spivs in Savile Row suits working out ways to cream every last penny from the gullible public. The motivation is irrelevant, Pi saw a need, created a product to fulfil it, priced it as cheap as chips and PR'd the hell out of it. If you don't see that as marketing then you genuinely don't understand the term.

OpenSource, charities, even foodbanks- they all understand marketing better than you. They might not realise it, or be able to describe the steps in 'consultant' language, or recite case studies to you but they're doing it all the same.

Even a simple soup kitchen for the homeless is at it. Twice. If they put it in the slums of Brixton they get users, in Chelsea they don't. Place. One of the 4Ps. And on the flip side they must undertake some activity somewhere to raise money to provide the service, be it from public donations, charities or grants. Marketing at both ends to two different sets of people and all for no profit.

Try reading this before you come back. Although I'd remove 'profitably' from the definition as it's a bit misleading is some contexts. And beware, it says EVERY product you buy has been shaped by marketing. Don't want your head to explode.
http://www.cim.co.uk/files/7ps.pdf

Back