Bike pricing disparity.

I know theyre popular, but for a long time ebay was full of broken bits of these conversion kits, and its pretty much that puts me off.
Quality very much an unknown :?

I think we live in a world where many are obsessed with technolgy and how every thing can be made easier .
It all comes at a price.
Tooth brush electric a jaw dropping £180 ffs

Re: Bike pricing rant.

brocklanders023":n34av3pi said:
I agree that the price of a sorted steel frame went from £350 to £600 in one go a few years back. It was around the time the pound tanked. Group sets shot up at the same time.

This seems to have happened everywhere, and I figured it was because the industry fully changed over to alu frames and stopped offering steel frames in their mass produced ranges, leaving quality steel frames as something just for connoisseurs who'll pay extra for something oldschool / strong / different. But this is just an assumption and it may well be wrong!

Bike are living longer due to the materials that are being used like cars.

I don't have any rust on my carbon Cannondale frame or paint chips and it's still pristine looking after 10 years of use.

Manufacturers must be loosing money compared to what they did back in the early days but one thing never changes and that is the price of some bikes just keep on going up.

But there are some good deals to be found with some manufacturers like Cube etc..

I keep wanting to buy a Specialized S Works Epic and the price keeps increasing by £1K every year!! It is now touching the £10K mark for the bike !! I remember when £3500 got you a Klein Adroit with full XTR or Suntour XC Pro.

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... -hardtail/

That's a nice bike to be sure, though for that money I think I'd rather spend it on a car :shock:

Cube is one of the companies im looking at for the Ebike. The Kathmandu 625 hybrid.
They have one that is the Kathmandu 45 625, but i cant find anything on it which states if its one of the 45/kmph, which needs a licence for or if the 45 relates to the Suntour mobie 45.

midibiker":24dd391r said:
Bike are living longer due to the materials that are being used like cars.

I don't have any rust on my carbon Cannondale frame or paint chips and it's still pristine looking after 10 years of use.

Manufacturers must be loosing money compared to what they did back in the early days ..
:facepalm:
Really?
Every bike I had, that didn't get stolen, is still living.
It's very rare old frame broke or became unrideable, this site is testament to that and the number that end up n tip and sent to places also shows that.

Steel may rust but it doesn't break very often.
Rust is not equal to living shorter.

Yes, I've heard carbon fibre frames are essentially now regarded as consumable items. Personally, will be surprised if many of the modern ones are in regular use in 20 years time.

Probably about a third of the bikes I've owned have had frame failures (cracked seat tube twice, bottom bracket shell crack, bottom bracket threads rusted out, snapped drop out, rack mount insert pulled out, bottle boss ripped off causing downtube failure, head tube crack). Only one of those preventable by maintenance, and only one caused by a crash. Not a heavy or abusive rider either.

greencat":2orlla5u said:
Yes, I've heard carbon fibre frames are essentially now regarded as consumable items. Personally, will be surprised if many of the modern ones are in regular use in 20 years time.

Probably about a third of the bikes I've owned have had frame failures (cracked seat tube twice, bottom bracket shell crack, bottom bracket threads rusted out, snapped drop out, rack mount insert pulled out, bottle boss ripped off causing downtube failure, head tube crack). Only one of those preventable by maintenance, and only one caused by a crash. Not a heavy or abusive rider either.

I would carefully say that maybe you've been riding the 'wrong' bicycles?

Back