BoTM Bike of The Month February 2023 - repaints special

Bike of The Month
switchlux's (Dirty Sunday's) 1988 Yeti F.R.O. #482
1988 Yeti F.R.O. #482

I hate repaints and never ever did it - until this one time because the bike came badly resprayed to me with a seat tube repair and a tiny rust whole under the down tube. I used FTW to check the frame and he did a minor repair. Ex-Yeti painter Ollie from Dark Matter Finishing got it as close to an original paint job as possible.

It's an early California made FRO (ca. number 182) with all the typical features, BMX headset, Simplex drop outs etc.

This is a 20" frame, although it's slightly bigger from other references that I have. Not sure if it was custom made or if Yeti slightly changed measurements over the years and between bikes.

Initially I had planned to ride and eventually race this bike, but I have too many, so I decided to let it go to a better place.

This bike has changed continents already a few times just from what I know. From Australia to me in California and now in Switzerland - getting ready to be displayed soon in a museum.

Who knows where else it has been before..

3AC08315-FA0B-4B9C-A7D3-25A80AE8FEA3_1_201_a.jpeg 9101F80F-21C0-45E3-8A7C-6731632A7BC6_1_201_a.jpeg

1988 Yeti F.R.O. #482

I hate repaints and never ever did it - until this one time because the bike came badly resprayed to me with a seat tube repair and a tiny rust whole under the down tube. I used FTW to check the frame and he did a minor repair. Ex-Yeti painter Ollie from Dark Matter Finishing got it as close to an original paint job as possible.

It's an early California made FRO (ca. number 182) with all the typical features, BMX headset, Simplex drop outs etc.

This is a 20" frame, although it's slightly bigger from other references that I have. Not sure if it was custom made or if Yeti slightly changed measurements over the years and between bikes.

Initially I had planned to ride and eventually race this bike, but I have too many, so I decided to let it go to a better place.

This bike has changed continents already a few times just from what I know. From Australia to me in California and now in Switzerland - getting ready to be displayed soon in a museum.

View attachment 708245View attachment 708247

While it's a real beauty, like THM said, it's not eligible unless you still own it

1988 Yeti F.R.O. #482

View attachment 708245View attachment 708247

I was about to say 'we have a winner', but, yeah...

It might not be eligible, but it sure is pretty!

I want a big ol' early FRO soooooo badly.

if your going on paint quality then there is only one winner so far (GROVE)
the shame is its a show of cost again who is prepared to spend the most on paint ;)
maybe member repaints would of been a better show of skills/what someone can create

having said the above can not knock the beautiful bikes in this months comp :)

Back