Bike ID - 90's Scottish frame builder?

SantaHul

Retro Guru
I just picked this bike up off eBay for my girlfriend. The seller said it was handmade in the 90's by a Scottish frame builder but couldn't tell me much more than that except it is made from Reynolds 531 (which I believe because it's pretty light). I can't find a serial number but it's been badly resprayed which I think has concealed it - I'll need to get permission from my girlfriend before I can start stripping paint off.

Anybody got any suggestions or at least know of any Scottish frame builders active in the 90's?

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg

Looking at the top of the stays it could well be an Alves. Inverness area builder. Very nicely made frames.

Jamie

Wester Ross cycles? I assume it was a Scottish firm, but maybe they just used the name

I am pretty sure Wester Ross had left Scotland for the Lake District by the 90’s.

I have an Alves 753 frame, it has a Everest bottom bracket shell with no frame number just Alves 753 ... time to get scratching..👍

347751-c9f88dae68218e478d02247a11c8d4c1.jpg

Framebuilders at that time in Scotland:

Charles Ralph , Alves, Moray.
charlie.ralph@btinternet.com
(its a while since he stopped building frames)

Clarkston Cycle Centre, Netherlee, Glasgow
(used to repair frames and build some )

Jim Docherty
built some frames at his home in Lochwinnoch, then moved to an industrial unit in Paisley, and then a shop in Glasgow
(He built one or two bikes / frames for Graeme Obree)

Latest posts

Back