Bike bells - what does everyone actually use ?

A polite "on your (insert side of choice)" tends to work, although I have been told a few times I should get a bell, I find bells somewhat annoying and rather often ignored by the wandering masses, especially when they are staring at a phone.
Agreed the bell ding can get a look of ‘he dinged his bell at me, how inconvenient ’ but I think that might just be the tone of the bell and or it’s single or double ring hit usage, bit like car horns , some sound like ‘thanks’ others sound like ‘move’.

Suppose my point is when I’m out walking the toddler on his balance bike, and an eBiker flys past on somthing the size of an Africa Twin, I’d rather of heard a bell a bit in advance than have to play save the toddler at the 11th hour.

As for the shouting, most don’t seem to understand which is left or right and I tend to prefer that they just froze when it’s at the last min, but getting their dog to do that is equally as hard !

Last edited:
On bikes I've fitted bells too I mount them upside down so they are under the bar and out of the way.
Yes the one bell we have is like this and it’s not to bad, just could do with the strap being the same colour as the bar and it might disappear/blend in a bit more.

If I could find a low profile bell or one shaped like a shifter lever or something that would look the best I recon.

Last edited:
Suppose my point is when I’m out walking the toddler on his balance bike, and an eBiker flys past on somthing the size of an Africa Twin, I’d rather of heard a bell a bit in advance than have to play save the toddler at the 11th hour.
completely agree, although I think that falls back to us rather than them for the most part. We share the path, we show respect, we slow down as we approach, we give a polite warning, we give lots of space (even more important where toddlers, kids and animals is involved). I appreciate that this doesn't always happen, and in some circumstances (riding in nodnoL being one of them) it's practically impossible to do, but out in the sticks on a shared path it should be the norm, not the exception.

As for the shouting, most don’t seem to understand which is left or right and I tend to prefer that they just froze when it’s at the last min, but getting their dog to do that is equally as hard !
Don't they just. Can't help that, even a bell doesn't help there.

Canyon now sell a bar end bell (ring bell), which is pretty neat but not sure it would work on flats.

I ordered 6 of them in black and chrome. Theyre great. Remember: The smaller, the shittier they are. Its a resonancing and vibrating thing after all!

Canyon now sell a bar end bell (ring bell), which is pretty neat but not sure it would work on flats.

Thanks for the suggestion, looks tidy, and could work on bar ends (2x bikes) and flat bars with plugs (1xbike)

Tempting option, look v small in a good way.

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back