Bike bells - what does everyone actually use ?

Joe*Pro

Senior Retro Guru
So as much as it pains me, living and riding in London and the Home County’s means 14 million people are generally in the way on most rides and whilst I sometimes get away with just changing gear (the only time I’m glad I had gripshift as it’s so noisy 😂) or skidding the back wheel a little, it isn’t always enough to alert wandering grannies stood idle in the middle of the path staring at some budgy in a tree, so I’ve concluded I need bells on all the retro bikes.

but ideally something invisible or something tiny that blends in to the bars as best as possible. Some reasonable options on eBay but I really just need some sort of micro bell or a tiny ring thing.

any suggestions for subtle tiny things that work ? what does everyone actually use ? …pics please ?

if I was true to my retro childhood, I had the actual chrome squeeze hooter thing on my first bmx 🤣 but no that’s not going on any of these now

Last edited:
Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
In fact I’m tempted to make something from a ‘lock on grip’ ring, maybe it would work with something screwed under the bolt 🤔

I read some reviews on the Knog Oi bells, that those Q bells in the 2nd post are ripping off, and they seem to be on the quiet side.

This video shows them best IMO. Skip to 3:00 for the test.

EDIT : I seem to be having trouble viewing the video on here, but maybe that's just my browser acting up. Here's a link.

A polite "on your (insert side of choice)" tends to work, although I have been told a few times I should get a bell, I find bells somewhat annoying and rather often ignored by the wandering masses, especially when they are staring at a phone.

Back