Better tyre than panaracer tourguard

Mike-p

Retro Guru
I've ridden these for a while and like them. Are they discontinued or renamed? Is there a better wet weather tan wall tyre? Running 700x28 which I like well enough, will I get better braking/ less skidding with a wider tyre? Riding hilly country single lane roads with loads of holes, hills and grass down the middle.
Thanks all.

Depends what you mean by better :) The Panaracer Gravelking SS will give you a bit more traction and speed with a tan wall, but doesn't have such good puncture protection as the TourGuard, with nice thick smooth centre tread that seems quite durable and some light nobbly bits on the shoulders - I use these in 32mm as a country lane and light gravel tyre on my winter/commuter and they're quite nice, and if you run them tubeless then punctures shouldn't be a problem and they're pretty fast on the road. The Panaracer Pasela might be a nice middle ground between the two.
Otherwise, Hutchinson make a brown wall mostly slick gravel tyre that might be worth a look, although it is more of a performance gravel tyre rather than a bomproof touring tyre and doesn't have much rubber on, or much puncture protection built in.
Unfortunately most of the tan wall tyres tend to be either flimsy racing jobbies or slightly naff tyres that are just meant to be cheap and look pretty on old bikes

Might try a gravel king, they sound about right. I ordered a pro tite folding version, I'm a bit confused about the re naming but I think that's what you're referring to as pasela?

I like the folding Paselas, and have them on many of my bikes. A good alternative, maybe even a bit nicer, is the Challenge Strada Bianca:

Tyre.jpg

Yes the Panaracer Pasela PT, is the upgraded version of what the OP calls the tourguard.

The gravel kings now come in a "plus" or + version which has at least as good puncture protection as the pasela's and is a more "modern" compound which is arguably grippier (and come in a variety of "tread types" from slick / semi slick thru to quite knobbly).

I have both of these within my fleet and quite rate them. Paselas come in 27" X 1 1/4 and 27"x1 1/8, as well as 700. GK's aren't available in 27"

Back