Best Eroica Hill Climber Racer/Road bike???

I realise we haven't exactly answered the OP's question.

7-speed freewheels were introduced by SunTour in the late seventies, but since they led to extra strain on the surrounding hardware, i.e. spokes and axles, they never became popular with racers. Only when cassette hubs appeared 7-speed gained traction in the market. Expect pre-1985 examples to be fairly rare.
For a 21-speed transmission you need a triple up front, and those weren't generally found OEM on racing machines either.

Early eighties racing machines that did come with 7-speed blocks were invariably equipped with Shimano, which means Uniglide hubs, for which larger cogs can be hard to find, and 130mm BCD cranks. The latter means the smallest chain ring you can fit is a 38T.

So, here's the earliest Koga-Miyata I could find with 7-speed: the 1983 FullPro:

1983 FP.JPG

A stiff frame helps. The Japanese Paramounts were identical in design to the
Watford built Paramounts except the Japanese frame is heavier. I know of two people who have both models and the Japanese one always gives them faster times on hilly rides.

The Record Sprint (cool bike, BTW. Love the JPS livery) came with a 110 BCD crank set, if memory serves. That means you can go as low as 34T in front.

With 28T in the rear you have a low of about 33 gear inches, which should get you up all but the steepest hills. Nice Eroica setup, IMO.

The 105 Golden Arrow RD should be able to handle that.

Having said that, the rear hub is probably a Maillard Helicomatic. Not sure how easy it is to find cogs for those.
my wheels are modern shimano hubs on FIR vitorra rims

last weekend I did a 12 hour time trial and used a 1960s Gutaine Belgian race bike with man gears. I was disappointed that I only covered 107.7 miles but there was a mile and a half of climb in that distance. There was no one else in their 70s that completed it (75 yo) but I was still disappointed. I noticed everyone was spinning a lot more on the 15 degree climbs. I need a new set of wheels for next year. 34 tooth gearing at least. I got so exhausted I could hardly release my shoes from the pedals. My tires were too narrow (25) so I’m going to get 28 road tires and put my water bottles behind the seat for less drag. The steel frame and Brooks Professional saddle kept me very comfortable so that part of the equation is settled. For a geriatric rider in an event like this you need to have a compromise of comfort, climbing and coasting. You spin out on the downhills before the corners. So, I need to fit new more modern wheels with quality hubs, top wider road tires for durability over TT tires, much lower gearing, new indexed shifting derailleurs, a little more reach on the quill stem and a new slightly longer seat post. This was on a 4 mile road race course and a night event as there was a sports car race during the day. These race cars cause bumps in the track, the seams between the three lane wide course aren’t filled and the downhill high speed corners are paved with rough pebbles so race car tires will have better grip. Steel absorbed all this but my tires were terrifying. I’m trying to figure out which wheels to use. ERD is 100 and 120 on the 1985 Panasonic with Columbus tubing that I’m going to use. Aero bars are out for my old neck, but the standard drops were fine. Any advice is appreciated.

yep, still got original front chainrings/cranks on her...... will post

Looking forward to a pic or two. :)

And speaking of Eroica, this is a new-to-me frame I built up recently, and took to Eroica Germania last weekend. 14-28 freewheel, combined with a 49/36 chainset. A good compromise between my puny calves and my vanity ;):

IMG_20210821_094728308_HDR (3).jpg

I’ve got a ‘85 Record Sprint. It a lovely ride , but it’s a difficult ride up the steep hills of Cornwall.. Can anyone suggest a pre 1985 Racer with 14 or 21 gears as standard fitting make and model please????
994DF1EE-6FEA-4BCD-8ABF-A1E2193A7762.jpeg

Attachments

• C822388E-FD26-4901-A657-C015C1A12FD2.jpeg
    C822388E-FD26-4901-A657-C015C1A12FD2.jpeg
    406.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 82186E32-769A-475F-8A29-A760D6DC12FC.jpeg
    82186E32-769A-475F-8A29-A760D6DC12FC.jpeg
    444.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 706BD3DB-FB56-4DB0-A61A-3FFD8A4990BF.jpeg
    706BD3DB-FB56-4DB0-A61A-3FFD8A4990BF.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 2
I’ve got a ‘85 Record Sprint. It a lovely ride , but it’s a difficult ride up the steep hills of Cornwall.. Can anyone suggest a pre 1985 Racer with 14 or 21 gears as standard fitting make and model please????
My gearing is as follows

Crank: Sugino GT 2 speed, 52t-42t

Rear cassette: shimano 7 speed, 28t-13t
Cassette is a Shimano hub on ‘FIR Vittoria’ rims so not original’heliomatic’ wheels/rear cassette I believe….

Back