Best Eroica Hill Climber Racer/Road bike???

jaguargod2000

Claud Butler Fan
I’ve got a ‘85 Record Sprint. It a lovely ride , but it’s a difficult ride up the steep hills of Cornwall.. Can anyone suggest a pre 1985 Racer with 14 or 21 gears as standard fitting make and model please????

either a touring model which came with bigger blocks, e.g. 14-28T at the rear, and some thing like 50-40-30 front, or just change out either your block or smaller chainring(s) for some something smaller but period appropriate off an old touring model.

Any bike will go up a hill, you just need the right legs gearing! As above, change your cassette to one which goes up to a 28. You can get bigger, but 99% of old derailleurs will safely clear a 28 but not any bigger than that. At the front, don't know what chainset you're using, but if it's a Shimano 130bcd type, swap to 48 and 38 tooth rings to get the most out of it. Or a triple.

If you change your wheel to an early splined cassette type (assuming it's currently a screw on freewheel), you'll have a better choice of cassettes that go up to 28.

Last edited:
I’d go for a triple. There are lots out there and a 1980s stronglight would look in keeping with the period of the bike. You might end up needing long cage rear mech but that is a bit trial and error.

Of coutes by the time you have done all the experimenting it might be easier to get and but serviceable tourer as t4tomo has suggested

The Record Sprint (cool bike, BTW. Love the JPS livery) came with a 110 BCD crank set, if memory serves. That means you can go as low as 34T in front.

With 28T in the rear you have a low of about 33 gear inches, which should get you up all but the steepest hills. Nice Eroica setup, IMO.

The 105 Golden Arrow RD should be able to handle that.

Having said that, the rear hub is probably a Maillard Helicomatic. Not sure how easy it is to find cogs for those.

Having said that, the rear hub is probably a Maillard Helicomatic. Not sure how easy it is to find cogs for those.
I don't think it will be on a Record Sprint, he'll soon know if he checks out the splines!! Peugeot used the Maillard Helicomatic hubs quite a bit in that era.

Well, my own '84 Record Sprint certainly has one. Not sure whether it's an '84 or '85 model. Anyway, according to the catalog specs the '85 also came with a 6-speed Helicomatic, 14-24T.

1k0.jpg

That is good to know. 14-28 would be perfect for the OP, and if they came OEM on Peugeots that means they can probably be found.

Dawes Imperial was a seven speed helicomatic at some point in the later mid 80's . Finding an original seven speed from that time period might be tricky .

Latest posts

Back