Benelux mech is fux’d?

fiveSixteenths

Senior Retro Guru
Hello Retrobike hiveMind
Have this early Benelux mech (from eBay. I know) and am wondered if it’s dead, due the rather non-parallel nature of the parallelogram parts.
As you can see from the annotation, the part that bolts to the drop-out and the bits that carry the jockeys are travelling on divergent paths.
The question is, is this normal?
Can’t do any alignment checking on the bike per se, as I’ve not got a rear wheel that fits (116 OLN) to offer a chain up.
But even before that, this doesn’t feel right.
Have I been sold a pup?

Attachments

• IMG_8033.jpeg
    IMG_8033.jpeg
    236.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8030.jpeg
    IMG_8030.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 31
Yes that doesn’t look right. My one is at work unfortunately so I can’t take a pic to compare. They were quite easy to bend, especially the alloy ones.

They’re easy to realign. Or, put in a rear wheel, mount the derailleur and use a homemade tool to check for bend. The net has a lot of info on doing his, you might need a bolt with that matches the derailleur mount. I can’t remember. The rear wheel that you use to check alignment doesn’t have to be perfectly true. I seem recall seeing a second wheel somehow mounted on the rear to check alignment.

Last edited:
Three or four speed to fit ‘49 Hobbs
116/110, don’t mind if high or low flange
Budget-sensitive lol
Are you interested in building your wheels? I was about to put the following early 50s wheel bits in the classifieds:
-a pair of 32/40 spoke 27x1-1/4” Dunlop steel rims. Front in VGC, rear good condition but has gone through the chrome in a few places on the braking surface.
-Resilion 40 hole high flange chromed steel fixed/free rear hub in matching condition to above.
-Exeltoo 32 hole high flange chromed steel front hub NOS / never laced

Also these bits:
-Resilion spoon brake lever, 1930s
-late 40s Raleigh/Rudge/BSA front calliper, nickel plated steel
-Classic alloy drops on 80mm SR stem, 25.4mm clamp, 150mm drop, 39cm ctc at drops. I think these are 50s/60s GB Maes bars in a 1980s SR stem. Wrapped in black leatherette tape in VGC.

Latest posts

Back