BB Width for TA Chainset...Solved..I Hope

I got this very useful info from a man who knows a thing or two about the TA's:

The standards for BBs for these chainsets are usually cited as 111-114mm for doubles, 118mm for triples and 123mm for tandems. When I set mine up (usually triples) on classic 700c/27" road frames, I start with a boggo Shimano sealed 113mm unit, and see if it'll clear the chainstays.

If it doesn't, then you'll be able to tell the minimum length that will work! If you're going to buy a new BB, then I'd start with a 118mm. Couple of other thoughts:
1. I like to keep the BB length to the absolute minimum. These cranks have a naturally narrow Q-factor, seems a shame not to make the most of that
2. The taper question... If you look online there's a lot of chat about different crank tapers. I did twenty years in the cycle trade and never heard anything about that at the time. I use Shimano sealed items, tighten the crank bolts good and hard, and never had an issue. The cranks you have were fitted to a Shimano BB exactly like that last time out!

OK, scored a NOS TA BB axle and cups from auction site. It's a 123.5mm which is specific for the Cyclotouriste tripple chainset. I have a spare 118 old Shimano just in case, but I'm pretty sure the TA axle will be the correct width.

Thanks to all above who helped. I must say, the TA stuff is proper quality. Maybe not for mtb's hammering it, but this build (Chas Roberts), is my cross country commuter bike.

Back