BB size Kona Kilauea/XTR M900

Bergy

Retro Guru
Ok so I’m fitting M900/901 XTR to my Kona build, currently as a mock up I’ve fitted an older UN52 BB I had knocking about in my spares but looking at the axle length the cranks/rings have allot of clearance I’m wondering if I should be using a shorter axle (will have to check the exact size but think it’s a 73-113) should I be dropping it to 108?

Attachments

• IMG_9618.jpeg
    IMG_9618.jpeg
    525.6 KB · Views: 5
BB spindle length for M900 is 107 - 113 according to Sheldon Brown so what you've got should give you a 50mm chainline but if you have plenty of clearance you could go narrower.

107mm XTR BB for the win. Bullet proof. No drama.

For weightweenie points the ultimate would probably be :-

107mm hollow titanium 17mm diameter axle (were available on ebay a few years ago - something to do with Klein)

The cups from one of those Token BB's (just need to be 31mm diameter internal bore and i think the Token is this)

Two 173110 2RS bearings

Guessing the WW version would be in the region of 130-140grams.

If you really need to run a 103mm and are repainting, or don't care about paint, then you can take a G-clamp to the chainstay and squash the tube a bit. Do it yourself, or get a builder to do it for you.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back