BB help! odd one?

Synthiaks

Senior Retro Guru
I've removed & replaced a couple of BBs but not had one like this before, the ring is plastic I think? very odd and both sides seem stuck fast....the tool i Have isn't any good. Any ideas anyone on its removal, would like to keep if possible to retain the originality, but its nothing fancy so assume may have to wreck it taking off.

IMG_20230427_101321.jpg IMG_20230427_101330.jpg

Quality BBs them FAGs - proprietary tool needed as you've found out! I worked on one seriously yonks ago but can't remember what the inner part was like so I can't give you any guidance re: melting it out or other method. Worth calling some LBSs to see if they have a FAG tool? Someone here might have one to lend?

Park Tool BBT-4? It could be same as tool for sealed sq Campagnolo BBs, so good idea with the LBSs - they should have it. Or the tool, is not expensive, just make sure it really fits, I'm not sure.

Thanks both! seems worth saving then, hadn't heard of the brand before....plus i have two frames with this same BB so worth getting a tool, hopefully the ring isn't too knackered.

That BBT-4 looks right:

Screen Shot 2023-04-27 at 13.21.15.png

FAG manufacture top quality bearings for the day job so their BB's are good stuff. I don't think anything from Germany is naff quality? Plenty of proper removal tools out there from about £8 upwards.

In my past life working as a design engineer, when directors would ask why specified seals, O-rings, bearings or whatever components were more expensive than others, simply replying 'It's German', resulted in nodding heads of approval and an understanding of quality/reliability/less failures/less returns and less problems down the line. The amount of these FAG BB's still running well is a testament to their quality.

If you're lucky a lockring tool will do the job.
If it was tightened with the original tool and now won't budge, you're into a world of hurt with cutting, heat and hammers.

I don’t care if the bearings are designed to last until the sun engulfs the Solar System. Whoever thought plastic BB cups were a good idea wants one of said cups inserting into an orifice normally too small to accept it. Remove that you tw@t.

Back