Avid Ultimate brake lever refurbishments.

Also, assuming these are going on the Dirt/JMC tribute?

Any pics of said project?
Ah no these are now the spares for sale as of tonight ! ...to back fund the ceramic 121 rims I finally found/bought last week. I’ve been chipping away at said project since circa Feb 2018 according to my photo file, having mulled over the effort/cost for a few years prior to that. Have learned alot in the process, life lessons and all.

I wasn’t sure of the etiquette on here, I just assumed you had to finish the project before putting the build thread up, or everyone just sees you’ve purchased some green shark tooth shifter grips for a month with good intentions !

Hahaha. I was the same for a long time, figured I'd need to be finished, or close-to, before I started it. But Peachy convinced me otherwise!

It's nice to follow along as people work away on a project is the thing.

Get it up!

If any one wants them now complete, discount for those who helped comment on fixing them above:

Last edited:
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Still reckon a shoulder bolt is the way, it's just a bolt to go through a bearing right?

You could find a threaded bolt with the correct cap and thread and simply add a sleeve over the thread.

Or find a bolt with correct cap size but larger thread, turn the thread down to the unthreaded size needed and re tap the thread you need at the bottom?

All would be cheaper than buying a new set of levers just for the bolt.
Your 3rd potential solution worked a treat in the end, and seems obvious in hindsight that another bike bolt from somewhere would be almost perfect save for a thread adjustment.

Last edited:
Flicking through an old MTB Pro this morning, edition dated June 1995, only to spot an original advert for my Avid Ultimate levers & Tri-Align cantis for sale at RRP of £5 more than I paid for them 25 years later, 😂

So I just about called it right then before they now go up in value from RRP 🙈

08947F2D-AFD6-4542-B540-6662C71F3C0C.jpeg

Last edited:
Flicking through an old MTB Pro this morning, edition dated June 1995, only to spot an original advert for my Avid Ultimate levers & Tri-Align cantis for sale at RRP of £5 more than I paid for them 25 years later, 😂

So I just about called it right then before they now go up in value from RRP 🙈

View attachment 635044
Looking at the listing for the Avid Tri Align Brakes, does (ea) mean each pair? As in it’ll cost £179.99 x 2 for a full bikes worth?!?
The levers are cheap by comparison!

Looking at the listing for the Avid Tri Align Brakes, does (ea) mean each pair? As in it’ll cost £179.99 x 2 for a full bikes worth?!?
The levers are cheap by comparison!
Could be, geez £360 for a full set. So still half price today then, worth the wait. 😂

I have a couple of half sets leftover that I've pillaged spare parts from. I should sell 'em off and treat myself to some new tires...

Who am I kidding: treat myself to a puncture repair kit and another CO2 canister.

Back