Are traditional Local bike shops dead ?

Well the bike shop to be 'local' for starters.
That's important. I wouldn't call Shorditch 'local' to me if I have to take time out to get a lengthy train and bus ride.
The term 'local bike shop' is misleading. Just leave it at ' a bike shop' .

I like to have some choice, I called every "Local" (according to Cambridge based guy) bike shop within a 10 Mile radius couple days back trying to find a pair of Panaracer Pasela Amber wall 27" tyres - not one had ANY in stock.

For wheels I have to go to Brick Lane Bikes miles away - admittedly their service is Excellent and it has become my go to bike shop.

I like Brick Lane Bikes too - but they did leave a tyre lever inside the tyre after truing a wheel once. That made for a very peculiar ride home!

ibbz":ibln9f2v said:
I like to have some choice, I called every "Local" (according to Cambridge based guy) bike shop within a 10 Mile radius couple days back trying to find a pair of Panaracer Pasela Amber wall 27" tyres - not one had ANY in stock.

I'm not sure I'd count the fact you couldn't find a specific coloured version of a specific tyre for a wheel size not produced since the 80s as an indicator that all local bike shops are rubbish. Plus I'm not sure you called everyone, I know a couple of shops in Hackney that have them for instance.

I live in a relatively small Eastern Canadian city, about 80,000 people in the city and surrounding area. We're served (VERY well) by no less than 4 independent bicycle shops, each with their own peculiarities and specialties.

Bikes and Beans, the least local to me, is a 20km drive into the 'burbs. Specialized in MTB and Road/Tri, full service shop, Cannondale dealer. Very helpful.

Alternatives, a strange shop with a mix of wood stoves and bicycles.... Seems to be mostly MTB. I've had mixed experiences here... Would rather sell new than fix old.

Bike Works, mostly mountain with a smaller selection of road machines, and a decent shop. Catering very much towards new stuff.

Consolvo, probably the largest store in town, tons of stock, decades of history - A place I can find NOS parts (recently, a pair of Sun 0degree rims, a freehubbody for my '96 LX hub).

All our shops are capable of in-house wheel building, all will offer guidance to home mechanics, and most will help to find relatively obscure parts or info if they can. They're all run by active cyclists and racers. They've all been around more than 10 years in some form or another.

We're a lucky city in that respect.

J

Rod_Saetan":25z0dr1z said:
ibbz":25z0dr1z said:

I'm not sure I'd count the fact you couldn't find a specific coloured version of a specific tyre for a wheel size not produced since the 80s as an indicator that all local bike shops are rubbish. Plus I'm not sure you called everyone, I know a couple of shops in Hackney that have them for instance.

Why're you getting your knickers in a twist man?
I asked a question about local bike shops - I did NOT say they're all Rubbish. I said the good ones around where I am are now gone and the there NOT many remaining - in order to visit a decent one I need to travel miles which means it's no longer local. I explained that inner London has many and described them.

Read my post and what I wrote properly before jumping to foolish conclusions and being rude.

ibbz":16s5dbtu said:
Why're you getting your knickers in a twist man?
I asked a question about local bike shops - I did NOT say they're all Rubbish. I said the good ones around where I am are now gone and the there NOT many remaining - in order to visit a decent one I need to travel miles which means it's no longer local. I explained that inner London has many and described them.

Read my post and what I wrote properly before jumping to foolish conclusions and being rude.

Apologies, I didn't mean to come across rude, although, in my humble opinion this was slightly ruder:

ibbz":16s5dbtu said:
Typical smart Alec comment from someone who didn't read/understand my original post and subsequent ones.

I'm still being foolish I'm afraid, but the thing is you still haven't provided us with the specific parameters within which a 'traditional bike shop' should be operating. It seems like they should be numerous and local, be able to provide excellent service, low prices, expert mechanics who can build wheels cheaply and quickly and also offer a wide range of parts for your 30 year old bike in a range of options. Again, it's all down to expectation, but I would say that most of those lovely old skool bike shops who (with sepia-tinted lenses) provided the above have all closed down as it's an inoperable enterprise*

*for the most parts, there are exceptions.

Further, I was trying to be helpful: you can get the tyre you require in Hackney if you can get over there, and the version with the nicer old school logo too.

Re: Re:

Rob H":ptyoajd5 said:
SEANSTEPHENS":ptyoajd5 said:
In bristol we have jakes bikes, the bike workshop and the bristol bike project. Those mainly deal with repairs or 2nd hand though, If you wanted to buy a new bike you'd be fairly stuck if you didnt want to go to halfords or evans

Edit: we also have mud dock!!

Don't forget Bool's, BW and Bike Science

Pembury's, Psyclewerx, BIKE, Strada, Pedal Progression, Webbs

specialized and giant "concept" stores

we're pretty well served

Back