ARC 1 Racing Gear barn find! What the hell is this?

Re:

Still not convinced on the ex hire theme as paint finish is too factory with decals laquered, tubing decals etc and condition but I’m enjoying and appreciating the effort of people scratching their heads like me. Look forward to seeing what that french guru you’ve asked comes back with. Maybe it is a special from a motocross company? A promo bike maybe? (Again condition wouldn’t support it being an ex team bike though).

I’ll stick frame number up...

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?

Re:

Soo... frame number on bottom of seat tube. Looks like DS or DG then 00 and underneath that which I think will be frame number is 507146

Attachments

• A17A98BC-5C38-4581-B126-351DE5138349.jpeg
    A17A98BC-5C38-4581-B126-351DE5138349.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 1,335
Re:

Interesting...

Apart from the cable routing, the frame is almost the spit of the Al Carter Black Panther.. These were in turn rumoured to be from the same Taiwan factory as Fisher bikes of the time, hence the evolution sized headtube. This one looks like it also has the same?

The OEM spec is also identical as the 'Panther (RM20's, Deore DX, Megabytes etc.)

Perhaps it could be otherwise known as an 'Alain Carteur' just to give it more of a French flavour. Nice looking bike though :D

Attachments

• unnamed-3.jpg
    unnamed-3.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,329
Re:

Haha...
Thanks mynchiboy.

Wow they do look identical frame sets! Even down to the cut out area near rear axle hangers. What about the Number stamping on yours? Also on seat tube?

I think it certainly seems worthy of keeping and getting it up to its full potential with a little tlc bearing in mind it’s components and condition.

The wife actually noticed it in the garage and commented on how nice it looks and how well dressed it is in black and pink. I doubt shed say the same about me If I were stood in a barn/shed for 15 years plus! :LOL:

Re:

Not that similar - Al Carter has top tube routing and no collar/external butting at the top of the seat tube. Still close enough to be the same Taiwan source thought...I do like the proportions of the Arc though.

Re:

On hindsight I see that too... got us all confused this!
Anyone know where this kinda range tubing would sit in the range at that time in comparison to other mainstream manufacturers?

Retro Spud":qbtxuu8u said:
I’ll reach out to 24pouces. He’s a French National and super clued up on French MTB history ..... if indeed it is French

The signature of the other person who raised a question and you posted a link to looks like Vietnamese,Loas or Thai all excolonies (French Indo China)
Hello everyone...
I don’t think that it’s a french brand and the craft seems to be from Asia.
A french bike would got Rigida or Mavic rims with french tires.
But I ask to french friends :D

Re:

On the French theme just Googled ARC mtb and it came up with a bike shop in France called ARC Mountain Biking in Bourg-Saint-Maurice, could it have been one of there's bitd. It might back up the hire bike theory because on the website it shows images of the trails etc the website is http://www.arcmtb.com

Re:

Arc would say lot of things in french : firstly, a bow.
Secondly, Les Arcs are a ski station in the Alps, where you could ride mtb in summer. You could rent some bikes like said in the web site found on google.
But I really don’t think it would be french. Ritchey tires + araya rims ? Not usually on french bike.

On other hand : the Yeti ARC is not french :LOL:

Back