Anyone into classic cars

That's too bad. The older BMW's (mid-80's to early 90's) would also develop leak spots at the bottom of the A-pillars where water runs down the window and to the sides of the cowel. Those factory drain holes clock up over time, then water sits and before you know it, rust has eaten through the metal out of sight and you are getting water in the cabin on really rainy days. Did the one here in the Range Rover leak all over the ECU?
Mid-80's to early 90's, its a lot wider than that, basically anything with a sunroof.

I've seen plenty of e3's and e9's needing the a pillars dealt with over the years. I replaced both A pillar bottoms on my 1980 e12 in the time I had it and on my 03 and 04 e66 and e64, the rust proofing is much much better but if I don't keep the drain holes clean I bet they'd need them done sooner or later, only I reckon it would be a much bigger job doing the a pillars on both of those than it was on the e12

I'm generally not a fan of American cars but there's a few I do like and I do love a Corvette. I very nearly bought a black L88 many years ago although a little later than yours. I used to buy and repair the odd bit of salvage many years ago and there was one in our local salvage yard which attracted my inner magpie, it only had a relatively small knock in the nearside front but the price of the repair parts were just too high to make it viable unfortunately.

I really miss my Peugeot 205 GTi. It was the 1.6 115 BHP version. I bought it new, tax free in Berlin in 1987 for £4,500 !

I really miss my Peugeot 205 GTi. It was the 1.6 115 BHP version. I bought it new, tax free in Berlin in 1987 for £4,500 !
Great little car as I had one 1985 one & did many a run from Aberdeen to Gloucestershire then moved on to a Ford Capri 2.8injection Special 😁 which was a great reliable car with its V6 Cologne engine..

Last edited:
Great little car as I had one 1985 one & did many a run from Aberdeen to Gloucestershire then moved on a Ford Capri 2.8injection Special 😁 which was a great reliable car with is V6 Cologne engine..
My m8 had a LHD 3.0S Capri. That was pretty quick but not in the same league as the 2.8 imho.

then moved on a Ford Capri 2.8injection Special 😁 which was a great reliable car with is V6 Cologne engine.
That's a car I bought as an afterthought thinking I wouldn't like it and absolutely loved it. Mine wasn't a special but it was one of the first few hundred in two tone metallic blue and silver and unbeknown to me when I bought it had a rare interior in it.

I had it when much younger, bought it on a whim as I only had a works van at the time and was going to Le Mans for the 24hr with a group of friends and it was cheaper then hiring a car. We packed four people in it, all our camping gear and all our beer although the two in the back complained it was a tad uncomfortable, for me in the Recaro in the front it was absolutely fine. A proper gran tourer if ever there was one, very long legged (I swapped the 4 speed out of mine and put a 5 in, although I did keep the 4 speed box) and just a really nice thing to drive.

Last year I bought a manual BMW 645 convertible and being a big manual gearbox big V engined GT the moment I drove the thing it reminded me of that Capri, it has more cylinders, more power and less roof but the way it drives and sounds brings back a lot of memories..

Back