Anyone help with a bike repair in the Dorset Area

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
A cry for help here :(

Is anyone around in the Dorset/Hampshire area who could help remove a fixed cup bottom bracket, and help fit a sealed cartridge one. Trust me, I work in finance and can (and have :oops: ) easily turn the smallest jobs into a disaster :facepalm: That's why this is my 2nd Saracen build attempt, my Rufftrax was sent to the landfill by my hands :oops:

Payment can me made in either cold hard cash, biscuits, beer etc.

I have arranged to go on a Bike ride this weekend, and I am fighting the Retro bike corner and need to take my Saracen :cool:

Re:

is it a lack of tools or knowledge? i'm down near Lepe Beach near Fawley so a fair distance from you but i can sort most things at home (ex bike trade)

if it's the drive side cup you do realise that it's got a left hand thread, meaning you undo it clockwise.

Re: Re:

jonnyboy666":3oajno9d said:
is it a lack of tools or knowledge? i'm down near Lepe Beach near Fawley so a fair distance from you but i can sort most things at home (ex bike trade)

if it's the drive side cup you do realise that it's got a left hand thread, meaning you undo it clockwise.

A bit of both, I have not got the 36mm spanner.

I tend to wreck frames even though I have good intentions.

Its the non drive side :?

Re:

you say 36mm spanner for the non drive side? usually the 36mm is for the drive side, which is the left handed thread, the non drive side usually needs a pin spanner or a smaller flat spanner, they can be a pig if they haven't been removed for a long time but as suggested a vice can be your saviour in an extreme case. basically remove the wheels, then clamp the cup in the vice and then turn the frame, it's a pain to do but can work.

Re:

The drive side had a plastic bottom bracket cup with the splines for the removal tool.

The non drive has this :?

Re:

weird, haven't seen that before. have got the tool though. they're usually pretty cheap to buy but i assume it would potentially be a one time use thing.

happy to do it but i wasn't planning on being over your way any time soon :(

Back