Anyone else gone to the dark side? Confession: I’ve just bought a 29er..

Yeah, that does seem to be happening a lot just lately
Likewise re probably like you in your previous post - i used to buy the lower end spec componented bike with same frame as higher model and upgraded.

Boost is 15mm x 110, but that’s beside the point. With 20x110 the hub flanges were still the same distance apart as they had been since disk brakes became normal. With the first lot of 29er rims this wasn’t strong enough for aggressive riders, leading to a reputation for being flexy that’s still banded about today. Boost added the extra 10mm in between the flanges increasing spoke triangulation giving stiffer, stronger wheels from the same rims. 15mm was a downgrade IMO but was done to gain acceptance of thru axles from the xc crowd, even though 20mm was lighter.
Wrong! I know what "boost" is.🙂 Plus, I know the justification for it. No need to "retrosplain" these ridiculous new standards to me.😂
There is in fact a 20mm x 110mm boost.

And that's what I'm saying. New DH (20mm x 110mm) boost wheels are not compatibile with the old 20mm x 110mm DH forks.

Look 29ers are (or may be) great for really tall people. No one here is saying they aren't. So don't call pre-29er retro XC 21"+sized 26er bikes "gates", 'cause that's not really fair. 29" wheels didn't even exist when those bikes were built, so there wasn't even an alternate choice available to the rider.😉

But on the other hand, fitting a 4'11" woman to a bike with 29"wheels today (in the days of 26" and 27.5" wheels) is just plain wrong.
Do you think this bike looks proportionally the right size for its rider I wonder?
There are many more where they came from...

For the last bike shown, the owner even stated that they had trouble with standover height and toe overlap and promptly sold the bike. And they were 5'7" (which isn't even that short).😂🤪

Attachments

• nq1.JPG
    nq1.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 11
  • KHS Flagstaff.JPG
    KHS Flagstaff.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 13-42-58 Photobucket dosniner2.jpg.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-04 at 13-42-58 Photobucket dosniner2.jpg.png
    683.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have 26'' / 27.5 / 29'' and at 74 years young still manage to frighten the crap out of myself whatever I ride .
My view is it's evolution + a bit of fashion as I haven't seen any world cup winners riding 26'' for a long while.
Having skills and fun is what it's all about I watch the youngsters on a 29'' wheeled Halfords bikes riding round on one wheel and riding over everything that they come across .
I don't know the wheel size but the skills are a different level in this video.

Seem to be all wheels - with the rider behind squashed up surrounded by them - look ungainly and clumsy but I’ll judge after I’ve ridden one. I’m going to and a 27.5 - on a modern carbon! No idea how but I really want to !

But I doubt very much 3” in the size of a wheel makes them that good - I’d put it down to other things as if it were about wheel size we would have off road motocross and off road dirt motor cycling with huge wheels but we don’t. They seem to be getting smaller !!

I haven't seen any world cup winners riding 26'' for a long while.
Because they are sponsored by companies who only make 29ers.....even if they preferred 26"....they wouldn't get one to ride.

That's the fashion industry for you.....and believe me kids on 29ers is nothing functional .....its fashion.

And of course everyone is completely correct, that wheel size should match the person.

Both my nephews at 11 went straight onto 29ers.....far too big. Also my mates wife who is 5' literally sits between the wheels of the 29er she bought 2 years ago! But then she didn't have a choice.

Oddly my other half bought a 27.5 in 2013, because unfettered by the traditions of retrobike and being tall...." that seems a more sensible size for my height"......well there you go.....no debate over geometry, no debate over roll over dynamics, not even a sniff of retro snobbery or concerns for changing standards....

I think we are over thinking this and manufacturers aren't thinking enough!

( well lets face it they are thinking about profits not riders)

Because they are sponsored by companies who only make 29ers.....even if they preferred 26"....they wouldn't get one to ride.

That's the fashion industry for you.....and believe me kids on 29ers is nothing functional .....its fashion.
Exactly
As I said in my previous post. We going to have WCI and Olympic champs in 29 as that’s what they’re given, paid to promote and to ride. All for sales and consumers.the we have samples given to mags and they’re paid to push and promote them - and IF they say a bad word they’ll have products and sponsor withdrawn - this is all true and now admitted throughout the different magazines and press covering such things.

Seem to be all wheels - with the rider behind squashed up surrounded by them - look ungainly and clumsy but I’ll judge after I’ve ridden one. I’m going to and a 27.5 - on a modern carbon! No idea how but I really want to !

But I doubt very much 3” in the size of a wheel makes them that good - I’d put it down to other things as if it were about wheel size we would have off road motocross and off road dirt motor cycling with huge wheels but we don’t. They seem to be getting smaller !!
And as I said here about wheel size
Looking at motor cross and dirt bikes where it’s about height and weight.

Last edited:
Thing is, the argument is being fought over wheel size but the simple fact is geometry makes far more difference when comparing properly modern stuff to the 90's kit. Geometry hardly shifted (outside of DH) for decades meaning I could comfortably ride my 2010 and 1993 bikes without much problem. Take it through to 2013 and my first 29er wasn't miles off but offered better rolling ability at the pay off of loss of agility.

These days 800mm bars, 35mm stems, very low bb, 65 degree head angle and 75 degree seat post are found on pretty normal bikes. They feel a world away from anything before 10 or so years ago! Up to you if you like them but they go up, go down and go along absolutely fine but don't be surprised if they feel odd at first if you have never ridden one.

Wheel size certainly makes a difference but go back to the 650b and 29er bikes of 2012/13 when 26 was being killed off and they won't feel much different to our classic kit. The current stuff does though unless you go down the On-One Whippet, gravel bike or more niche cargo kit which tends to retain geometry more in line to what we used to see. It would be interesting to ride a 26 inch wheeled modern bike although I bet most on here would hate it!😂

As for changing standards being a barrier, I'm not so sure. Yeah, if you have a garage full of 7/8/9 sp gear, 26 inch wheels and canti brakes your options may be limited but most of that has been out of mainstream production for 10 years or more now (although all perfectly replaceable). Shimano external bb and cranksets have been on every bike I've had since 2006 and would fit on my 1992 Clockwork, if you have Hope Pro 2 hubs (again, my 2006 bike had them) you can fit any of the handful of axel sizes that have come and gone with the right cups and boost chain lines can be fixed by spending £20 on a new chain ring. Pretty sure you can buy adaptors to fit any type of disc calliper on any disc frame and in any case there's only really been two standards in the last 20 years. Seat posts have become less complicated and slimmed down to three sizes that everyone uses and stems are still 1 1/8th. If you bought a modern bike (say up to 5 years old) it simply will not become obsolete any time soon.

I think you are absolutely right. Geometry is the key. Tbh the 29ers i had and rode were basically big wheel 26" bikes.....and yes sluggish and unwieldy....

Maybe i should try something more radical in geometry.

Back