any love for old Brodies out there?

riskllama

Kona Fan
was putting away the mower in the step dad's shed over the weekend & noticed that he still has his old Brodie Dynamo. not entirely sure what year it is but it's green so I wanna say '96, maybe? that's what a quick Google search suggests anyways...

he's turning 80 in September, so his cycling days are looonng gone now, lol. if anybody is interested lmk & I can post a pic or two and we can go from there. he's a tall drink of water, so it's gonna be at least a 19 frame I would guess. think it has a bunch of LX componentry and a white RockShox...something on it. that's about all I can remember atm other than the fact that it looked to be in pretty good shape for a bike that old - 'ol Georgie boy took good care of his stuff...;)

Last edited:
oh yeah, it's running the classic Smoke/Dart combo. I specifically remember this because I asked if I could have them and was denied. gee, thx pops...:rolleyes:

I agree to what was said before, the Dynamo wasn't hand-built in Canada any longer, therefore not interesting to collectors.
So also not worth a lot, but still a nice ride.

Please provide still pictures, i would guess it's blue with a white RS Indy Fork? That means roughly 97-98 year.

pretty sure it's green, but then again, it's been in an unlit garden shed buried under dust for lord knows how long. will dust it off and take it outside for a few glam shots next time I'm over there to cut the grass.

I test rode some of the post buy out Brodies in the late 90's and they rode well even though they didn't have the cachet of the hand built ones. Heck, my ti road bike is an Asian built Brodie and its a nice bike.

i have a 1999 brodie torque as a pub bike.
even has the resurrected `gatorblade' on it. ha ha

still supporting the team. but no tears if stolen.

the ahead stem extender is quite high :oops:, a bit challenging already for the material and my eyes ;),
other than that, that's still a nice steel frame MTB.

I've seen a few more of the green Dynamo's too, just it's a bit hard to date the age, as it must be a inbetween version.
Between the blue 1996 model with black-golden decals (with STX, but usually still with Rigid fork)
Brodie Dynamo 1996 catalog.jpg
and the 1997 metallic blue one with black-white decals (Indy C and a bit Alivio components like cranks).
Brodie Dynamo 1997 catalog.jpg

The 1997 had already V-Breaks, also no cantilever stop bridge at the back any longer. The one from your dad is still for Cantilevers, also the Indy has the canitlever arch.

Once your dad doesn't need it any longer, remove a few things (you know what i mean), clean it a bit and have fun.
Selling isn't worthwhile, usually those bikes aren't resulting in any meaningful selling price. You rather may regret this later...

Back