Any eBike love here?

Re:

Actually that E-MTB thing does nothing for me

For me if I got an ebike it would be to ease the commuter run if I ever have one again, a nice e-hybrid/gravel with flat bars and maybe racks.
or to tow with.

A full sus thing has no purpose with me, but then I have nothing near me that needs a bike like that.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":38rmzmtg said:
Actually that E-MTB thing does nothing for me

For me if I got an ebike it would be to ease the commuter run if I ever have one again, a nice e-hybrid/gravel with flat bars and maybe racks.
or to tow with.

A full sus thing has no purpose with me, but then I have nothing near me that needs a bike like that.

Same here, it's pretty flat where I live, so I don't need expensive, serviceable stuff like suspension. Cheap ebike kits from eBay cost about £140, my donor bike was £20 and I already had the battery (a decent battery is about £230, for a 48v13a/h, 30-mile range). I've built a couple of ebikes and the single best piece of advice I can give is to make sure you have a nice big battery. 36v10a/h is about the minimum for a 250w set-up but if you are doing 20+ mile runs you need more. If building several ebikes, you can buy battery hot-plates for about £40 so you can interchange just one battery between your bikes.

I think they are a great idea and for me fill the gap between pedal and engine.

I do cross country on motorbikes but there are quite a few places i can not get to, getting less and less also, and which i would struggle to get to on a pedal bike either through time, physical capabilities or mental as well a bit. An ebike would let me tackle these rides a bit easier.

And i think that's the positive about them, they do serve a purpose for people, whether it is to ease the commute, or enable it, to get people out and exercising who otherwise were unable or unmotivated, or to get them back up the hill easier to get a few more runs in.

Obviously they will never replace a pedal bike like some believe, after all, that's how motorbikes started, strapping an engine to a bicycle, but for sure, are here to stay.

Here's mine, from back in November on my first ride. Not to everyone heres' taste of course, but why would it be? It's Retrobike.
Its funny that I thought my San An was massively heavy once I'd finished it, but now, its feels so light ... and the P7 is like a twitchy, barely controllable race car. Its amazing that there was stuff I'd ridden down on the P7 that I now can't do on this enormous, full sus e-bike.

Attachments

• IMG_7151 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_7151 (Medium).JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 609
Does it feel odd though, being pulled from the front? (Nay, titter ye not, shut your faces)
I mean that’s effectively front wheel drive.

In fact, doesn’t that make it a throttle controlled electric vehicle rather than an e-bike?

mk one":34ufkvw0 said:
looks a half decent frame under all that.

I know, I love the early orange stuff - almost seemed a waste doing what I did to it but, rest assured there were no extra holes drilled in the process :)

Supratada":265ab6tg said:
Does it feel odd though, being pulled from the front? (Nay, titter ye not, shut your faces)
I mean that’s effectively front wheel drive.

In fact, doesn’t that make it a throttle controlled electric vehicle rather than an e-bike?

As long as it's 250w it's UK legal. FWD can feel a bit steering heavy but soon get used to it, it's simpler to fit. I do prefer RWD (like the white Peugeot posted a few pictures ago, that's my more recent build). You can play tunes on the power eg over-volt from 36v to 48v (check your controller has 63v capacitors) gives 40% more power and hub speed, you can put a 1/2 power switch to limit them on roads then open them up on the trails.

Whitey19999":2k4jehi9 said:
mk one":2k4jehi9 said:
looks a half decent frame under all that.

I know, I love the early orange stuff - almost seemed a waste doing what I did to it but, rest assured there were no extra holes drilled in the process :)

And admittedly Orange used to always laud the versatility of their Clockwork and P7. Makes it even more versatile :D

On the note of the 250w. I was under the impression the motors were capable of 600w or 900w, and its being limited by the software :?
Not that im knowledgeable in this but you hear things :?

Back