Any eBike love here?

Supratada":3lucg9tn said:
What I'm saying is, by using the ISIS argument, is that society can't regulate errant people by introducing new laws that cover the vehicles they might use. eg terrorists using vans and shed-tinkerers who might override the limits on their e-bikes and go zooming about at 30mph on footways.

Though you say you've no issue people being slower or faster. "As long as it’s under their own steam." you clearly do have an issue with people using e-bikes. Its a bit churlish to say that only people with certain disabilities or restricted abilities should use them. Do I not count because I got fat by eating too much food and being lazy? Should I therefore stay at home rather than get in the way of "real" cyclists?

Yes that’s exactly my point. If you don’t have the fitness and chose to ride a ebike - there should be a dedicated trail for ebikes.

It’s not like you can say I should wait for them to get in front so I can enjoy my ride. But in the next few minutes another group comes along.

Why not ride your bike to your ability and fitness. So start on the flat short rides and build up. That’s the way you get fitter. 5 miles becomes 10 and so on. Then build your skills and fitness and then go To trail centres once you can keep with the flow of the groups.

It’s like those motorbike and car drivers who jump straight into a track day and ruin it for the rest of the group as they aren’t quick enough or dangerous.

Yes that’s exactly my point. If you don’t have the fitness and chose to ride a ebike - there should be a dedicated trail for ebikes.

Ermmmm. A big F off to that one. elitist claptrap. EVERYONE has a right to right and if you dont like that, tough.

You ride on the roads too I'll guess. A bike is the slowest vehicle on it. So are you saying that you shouldnt be allowed to ride there because you dont have an engine :?

dyna-ti":10ow17lw said:

Ermmmm. A big F off to that one. elitist claptrap. EVERYONE has a right to right and if you dont like that, tough.

You ride on the roads too I'll guess. A bike is the slowest vehicle on it. So are you saying that you shouldnt be allowed to ride there because you dont have an engine :?

I ride on the road maybe a couple of times a year. So yes.

But you are completely missing the point. No issue people being slow or slower on the trails. That’s fine.

My issue is the ones that are slow - but have a ebike so they can blast past you on the straights and then hold everyone up on the decent bits. Some of these riders even have to get off and walk as they are out of their depth. If they didn’t have the ebike they most likely would be riding tamer trails.

Edited to add- The only people that ever seem to not grasp the difference is ebike riders. I’ve no issue being overtaken , being held up or any other thing if by someone on a pushbike. I even quite like a good challenge of keeping with someone fitter or better. And enjoy showing slower riders how to better their skills. But ebike riders (I’m talking purely the trail riding 6k yellow orange Gang) are blind to o how annoying they are keep blasting past and then having to be overtaken as soon as a stone is in their path.

Ebiking and cycling are two different sports. And I’m sure in time we will see it separate. Sooner than better in my eyes.

Re:

It always irritates me when there is a suggestion that someone should justify having an e-bike by being old or useless. Do you really need to justify everything you own if it's more than the bare minimum a human needs to exist?

I think e-bikes are great and if they get more people out of cars, or even just doing more exercise, then that is a success. Adding licences and all that nonsense will just kill it off, if it was even possible to enforce. Some ebikes are obvious but if you look at something like the Orbea Gain you would be hard pressed to tell the difference without a close look.

Whilst I would happily have an e-bike (and considered one when going somewhere else to work was still a thing) but 3 things put me off:
1. Cost - They're bloody expensive
2. Proprietary parts - If it goes wrong in a few years there's a fair chance you won't be able to get new parts
3. Normal bike comparison - I would be concerned that I would get less enjoyment out of my other 7 bikes and stop using them

Cycling and cycling are two different sports :? I think not. Yes I know what you said.
But what you have said is that an assisted cyclist isnt the same as a fit cyclist, which itself sounds , no offense intended, jealousy, in that you work to climb the hill before a run and they whizz up.
One could apply that argument for the way down. Those with longer forks have precedent :? :LOL:

Tried taking your DH up Ben Nevis or anywhere in the alps without a chairlift. An artificial means of getting up the hill is it not ?. No elitism of powerful legs, all are equal :p ;) :LOL:

Re:

d8mok - I hope you'll take every offence to me calling you a tw@, and telling you to shove your opinions up your elitist arse.

You are everything that is wrong with cycling. Do one.

Re: Re:

gradeAfailure":hk6aza1r said:
d8mok - I hope you'll take every offence to me calling you a tw@, and telling you to shove your opinions up your elitist arse.

You are everything that is wrong with cycling. Do one.

Your username sums you up well.

Just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean that you are correct. Neither does it mean I’m correct. I’ve taken no offence as you are simply a nobody to me.

Oh and Go **** yourself

Well, I didn’t think it would descend into swearing and abuse but there you go.
D8mok, I don’t agree with you at all. MTBers have enough trouble getting places to ride, let alone somehow segregating trails into e-mtb and acoustic. Accept that not everyone is as fantastic as you.

Unfortunately your comment about track days just confirms my opinion that you are simply impatient, in riding and driving. I don’t even understand how slow drivers on track days are a problem. You sit behind and wait for their signal to let you pass, it’s simple and safe. You’re not there to race and if it ruins your “flow” both on a mtb or car/bike on track, you shouldn’t go there with the expectation to do clean fast laps.

The only problems I’ve ever had on track days have been with overly confident drivers who have passed at points, breaking the rules or even crashed out because their speed exceeded their skill, and ruined the day for everyone.

What are you like with learner drivers on the road? I dread to think.

A-N-Y-W-A-Y lets get back to the job in hand :D

Who thinks theres about to be a bit of a price revolution ?,with at least a thousand dropping off the price and increased in spec despite the lower price tag.
In the £2000-3000 it looks from the 2021 models many companies will be vying for out cash and there could be some really good deals out there.

More integrated systems and better styling :?

dyna-ti":3fjpbuex said:
A-N-Y-W-A-Y lets get back to the job in hand :D

Who thinks theres about to be a bit of a price revolution ?,with at least a thousand dropping off the price and increased in spec despite the lower price tag.
In the £2000-3000 it looks from the 2021 models many companies will be vying for out cash and there could be some really good deals out there.

More integrated systems and better styling :?

It needs to happen as many currently look very expensive for warrantied/expected lifespan - usually a year or two. Add in the likelihood that some of the current motors/batteries/bikes will not reach wide enough adoption to be well supported - and I think the price per ride could end up making some look very expensive indeed. This must already be true for the more expensive mountain bikes, never mind adding the complication of motorisation.

The market needs rapid reduction in cost to consumer and standardisation.

My Chinese sourced folding ebike was £360 ie not much more than a similar non-e version. It's already earned its keep in the first year of ownership through savings on bus/taxi fares etc. If it were 10x the cost like the average e-mountain bike is, it would still be quite a few years away from earning its purchase price.

I can understand the frustration of riders who enjoyed somewhat exclusive access to previously hard to reach places, now finding the less experienced arriving because an ebike allows them to. But times change and I like to think all are welcome regardless of the skills, experience and bike they bring.

Back