Any Dave Russell aficionados??

I can imagine for those that need them genuine Dave Russell transfers are hot items!

The transfers have been a mystery to me. We do know Dave handed them to my Dad personally in or around '93, which I am guessing were of an older style at that point. Do you know if he used both the block white and red against white background designs through the late 70s/ early 80s?

Dad tells me he was in Twyford by '93 so, as I've seen on classic lightweights, he was using the non-slough designated head tube transfer which does check out.

An older down tube and seat tube transfer matched with a new head tube number perhaps?

Don't know much about Dave's Twyford days, I'd lost touch with him by then. I do remember transfers that were a white block letter edged in black and - possibly - a black edged in white? I think a frame I got from him early 80's had these.

Re:

Well as far as I'm concerned you're in a good position regarding transfers, fr62. If I had a 1980(?) Dave Russell, and Dave was offering me the choice between 'new style' and 'old style' transfers in 1993 I'd have gone for the old style too.
Like Torqueless says along with me, I'm 99.99% certain the diamond is a BB shell trademark - but I can't remember the make!
I'm in the fortunate position of not having to remember, Ned- I can lay my hands on the bare metal of just such a shell as I type.. :)

Cheers guys. We are certainly happy with how it looks now. I'm also considering a 753 'renovation' sticker to complete the look, but it would be nice to find one which was period correct to '93.

Re: Re:

torqueless":7xmqhgyu said:
I'm in the fortunate position of not having to remember, Ned- I can lay my hands on the bare metal of just such a shell as I type.. :)

Well, go on then, what is it!? I'm pregnant with anticipation :D :roll:

Re:

Well, in the diamond it says: "EO". If you ask Peachy, over on his Colstar thread, he might be able to show you? Mine's on an early '80s Holdsworth Special, which is the same frame with different transfers..

9d7a1d_321e6a2feab147f4b0ed61603d72d4b5.jpeg

That's one of the frames I was referring to with a high BB. Something I found quite noticeable on photos of Roger himself. The chainstay seems almost parallel to the ground. What is the BB height Nob?

Perhaps it was done like that to clear the huge chainring.............

BTW, any idea when was Dave using frame transfers like those?

Old Ned":1fd5t90e said:
That's one of the frames I was referring to with a high BB. Something I found quite noticeable on photos of Roger himself. The chainstay seems almost parallel to the ground. What is the BB height Nob?

Perhaps it was done like that to clear the huge chainring.............

BTW, any idea when was Dave using frame transfers like those?

It’s as close as replica as we good get it based on Rogers Original but with only photos of him on it to go by so allot of measuring work & CAD work to come up with something close. I don’t have the bike with me so can’t get a measurement & can’t find our build sheet :(

Nob":1inqs0ym said:
That's an absolutely stunning TT machine, many riders favoured long cranks BITD which could explain the high bottom bracket.
I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to purchase this medal from the late John Woodburn's family.

Attachments

• 20201025_151219.jpg
    20201025_151219.jpg
    790 KB · Views: 355
  • 20201025_151207.jpg
    20201025_151207.jpg
    803.3 KB · Views: 355
Back