Another One For The Fruit Bowl... '94 Orange P7 Full Restoration/Build - Completed with full spec list.....

Crikey thats a bit special. Probably looks nicer now than when it was fresh out of the box.

Almost ready to unveil mine - just need a chain!

Bloody lovely šŸ˜ŽIā€™ve been loosing mojo recently so this is the kind of inspiration I need
Thanks enc, I know what you mean as Iā€™ve had to pull my finger out as Iā€™ve another 2 builds to finish after this oneā€¦šŸ˜

Cheers markocšŸ‘ Iā€™m really liking how itā€™s turning out. Not always 100% sure when I have something in mind as to whether itā€™s turns out how I want it but so far so good šŸ‘

Great news......... It's all come to fruition and well pleased with the end result šŸ‘ :cool: . It just needed cabling up, fitting the chain and pedals and decided to go with IRC Mythos tyres. Thought some XTR grey outer cabling would work well and just to add something a little different. A nice old boxed HG71 chain was just the ticket and a lovely set of NOS PD-M525 DX pedals (couldn't justify the XT SPD-M737 price tags for a NOS set šŸ¤Ŗ) which I bought a couple of sets of as the other set will be going on another build lined up. Decided to give them some future proofing with a quick strip down of the axle and some fresh good old Shimano grease (that lovely green stuff šŸ˜„)....

it5QZR6h.jpg

J0xbFT0h.jpg

5korergh.jpg

Qry2VfNh.jpg

AQFQNLph.jpg

MlDkZHah.jpg

jKQPruhh.jpg

7U7bsAI.jpg

I've some NOS XT quick release skewers due in the post shortly as the originals are a bit tired and scuffed and the only area that lets the build down a bit so just need some better weather to get out on her now....
Pic heavy content coming up.....

ffyZkzUh.jpg

NjHwMJhh.jpg

8UlsC7Lh.jpg

HFBxu6rh.jpg

ZGcHVDVh.jpg

aZltJUdh.jpg

DYFRYYSh.jpg

itnAQhLh.jpg

wB7dHvDh.jpg

pH9vSqph.jpg

vBOmUaEh.jpg

5YEGWNeh.jpg

DTXnSdkh.jpg

vLYuFoAh.jpg

ceZwHNKh.jpg

sUAYlezh.jpg

Minor update as I've had new replacement NOS XT skewers finishing it all nicely šŸ‘ Thrown in a shot of the old long sleeve jersey with it too for some added fruity retroness :).
Full spec list after the images.....

XMmAwIfh.jpg

WTf44FJh.jpg

kqKMtFQh.jpg

4h2mv7hh.jpg

nYYe4y7h.jpg

Frame: 1994 17" Orange P7 Series 8 Micro butted chromoly (re-finished by Maldon Shot Blasting & Powder Coating Ltd, decals by Retro Decals)

Fork: F7 Triple butted chromoly

Headset: Tange 1" sealed cartridge bearing
Stem: SK8
Handlebar: Hot Rod
Grips: Orange Friction Addiction
Bar ends: Orange

Brakes: Deore LX BR-M560
Brake Pads: Deore XT inc. holders
Brake Cables: XTR/Dura ace grey
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Deore XT ST-M738

Shifters: Deore XT ST-M738
Front Derailleur: Deore XT FD-M737
Rear Derailleur: Deore XT RD-M737
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Deore XT CS-M737 11-28t
Chain: Shimano IG71 (NOS)
Cranks: Deore XT FC-M737 175mm
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano 22/32/44t
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN72 68-110mm
Pedals: Shimano PD-M525 (NOS)

Hub Skewers: Deore XT M737 (NOS)
Rims: FIR M123 32 hole
Hubs: Deore XT M737 32 hole
Nipples: Sapim
Spokes: Sapim
Tyres: IRC Mythos XC 1.95 folding bead (NOS)
Tubes: Specialized butyl

Saddle: Orange with embroidered logo
Seatpost: Orange chromoly with layback
Seatpost Binder: Factory binder bolt

Weight: TBC.

That all folks.... for now. šŸ‘

Having put my C16R on the back burner for the time being (still waiting for a nice set of Pace MXCD's to turn up somewhere) it was time get cracking with a frame I've had knocking about for a while. Actually I have two the same, a pair of Orange P7 frames, 94 and '95 versions and both 17". I've puzzled over for sometime where to go with them as I like the nickel finish but both had suffered from the usual rust spots all over and around the welds and bottom bracket area. I decided to polish up the '95 frame to a raw finish using the gt85 and spontex pad method then metal polished it to a high finish but my ocd kicked in and pondered on whether it would and rust and develop rust spot scabs again over time........ I decided to have the frame clear coated by a local sprayer who took it on and had a specific clear coat for it but to cut along story short was disappointed in the results..... its now waiting to be fully stripped back again and re-polished but have given up on it in the meantime.

I now turned my attentions to my '94 frame ( A4040028 ) which wasn't too bad but was a bit tatty, scabby rust spots all over and the decals missing in places.

ogs3oSdl.jpg

ZA0sIDNl.jpg

ks3EVijl.jpg

I'd polished and got rid of the rust spots in and around the forks and was going to do the same on the frame again but the old dilemma of it staying rust free and polished with the intended riding I had in mind started me thinking..... I wasn't keen on having to re-polish/wax it after every ride so decided to have it powder coated for piece of mind and longevity and not have the worry of it rusting in the future........ So of it went to a sand blasting and powder coating firm I'd found online who where doing bike frames. They have seen a big intake of bike frame requests and as their reputation had grown immensely popular in the two wheel world and looking at reviews over the last 12 months, my decision was made.......

So after a few weeks (they were busy), the return of my eagerly awaited frame set turned up..... I hope I'd chosen the right colour.....:)

Jt5Xj27l.jpg

74zgL6Hl.jpg

NK9itFMl.jpg

X4c3PaRl.jpg

BBGCcyil.jpg

I've kept it silver but have gone for a more aluminium look and really like how it turned out so a big thumbs up to the guys at Maldon Shot Blasting & Powder Coating Ltd. for their handy work.

Next was to get the decals I've had lying around for ages onto the frame so a big shout to Gil @retro decals again for my request... Yes they are not the same font type as the original decals but prefer this type so it was on with the task in hand... I also fitted a new Tange 1" threaded sealed cartridge bearing headset and and the polished up cable hanger. Fitted a UN-72 bottom bracket, installed the seat post shim and polished the original seat post and this is where I'm up to currently........

wIYotxTl.jpg

qeufr7Tl.jpg

vjipsCRl.jpg

iHZAYVfl.jpg

BH9eNQGl.jpg

KrWJeNxl.jpg

More to follow soon as I've been busy restoring and polishing a few items for the build and will update as things progress. Everything is pretty much sourced and will be running a Deore XT 737 groupset and a set of XT hubs on FIR M123 rims but yet to decide on tyres though I've a few options in the garage. Will update again soon....... šŸ‘

Minor update as I've had new replacement NOS XT skewers finishing it all nicely šŸ‘ Thrown in a shot of the old long sleeve jersey with it too for some added fruity retroness :).
Full spec list after the images.....

XMmAwIfh.jpg

WTf44FJh.jpg

kqKMtFQh.jpg

4h2mv7hh.jpg

nYYe4y7h.jpg

Frame: 1994 17" Orange P7 Series 8 Micro butted chromoly (re-finished by Maldon Shot Blasting & Powder Coating Ltd, decals by Retro Decals)

Fork: F7 Triple butted chromoly

Headset: Tange 1" sealed cartridge bearing
Stem: SK8
Handlebar: Hot Rod
Grips: Orange Friction Addiction
Bar ends: Orange

Brakes: Deore LX BR-M560
Brake Pads: Deore XT inc. holders
Brake Cables: XTR/Dura ace grey
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Deore XT ST-M738

Shifters: Deore XT ST-M738
Front Derailleur: Deore XT FD-M737
Rear Derailleur: Deore XT RD-M737
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Deore XT CS-M737 11-28t
Chain: Shimano IG71 (NOS)
Cranks: Deore XT FC-M737 175mm
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano 22/32/44t
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN72 68-110mm
Pedals: Shimano PD-M525 (NOS)

Hub Skewers: Deore XT M737 (NOS)
Rims: FIR M123 32 hole
Hubs: Deore XT M737 32 hole
Nipples: Sapim
Spokes: Sapim
Tyres: IRC Mythos XC 1.95 folding bead (NOS)
Tubes: Specialized butyl

Saddle: Orange with embroidered logo
Seatpost: Orange chromoly with layback
Seatpost Binder: Factory binder bolt

Weight: TBC.

That all folks.... for now. šŸ‘

Attachments

• 566A8223-9FF4-49BD-93AE-4CB439EDB537.jpeg
    566A8223-9FF4-49BD-93AE-4CB439EDB537.jpeg
    618.8 KB · Views: 16
  • BD8D3413-7C15-480B-8713-9D39D381E3CF.jpeg
    BD8D3413-7C15-480B-8713-9D39D381E3CF.jpeg